Gaylord/Lewiston Trails

I took the family up to our place near the South Higgins Lake State Park last weekend. I opted to enjoy the "Winterfest" the area was holding and spend the day with my Father and my 4 year old instead of going out and beating the crap out of my self and my Vmax. I love leaving my sled and gear up there but if it were here at my house I think I would have a lot more miles on it this year.

This was a good assessment. I rode 140miles from 2-6pm on 2/26 all on the trails. And then another 50 on 2/27 on seasonal roads from about 8am-12. Overall I'm happy I decided to go.

vmax4rules said:
I rode 132 miles yesterday on the Blue Bear and Cranberry trails.
50% of the trails were good 35% fair and 15% were poor, you could ride around most water/mud etc but as far as it goes for me the season is over unless Mother Nature keeps the temps low and sends us at least a foot of good snow (not fluffy LES)

If you know the off-trail areas you would be okay but without any fresh snow in what seems at least a month even those are hard packed and rough.

Just my .02

jrtjh said:
Yeah, I know where that is, in fact, Douglas Lake Road is almost in my back yard, but up by M32 rather than by Old State Road. We're just off Dagon where it intersects with Bear Lake Road. 448 crosses Dagon right around the corner from our house. We just built this past summer. Some of my wife's relatives think we were "stoopid" to build in Michigan with this economy. My thought was, why not, can't be any worse than anywhere else is (or will be) in the next few years. Speaking of bad, the sun is out, it's about 32 in the back yard, the roof is dripping and we only got about 1/2 inch of new snow last night. All the trail reports around here are "poor" or "bad" and in Lewiston, they've lost all the trails in town. I guess it's time to ride the back roads and the 2-tracks, but it's gas cans to refuel, no way to get to the stations with this lack of snow. Predicting about 1-2 inches this week, so probably will be poor through the weekend at least.
You guys are right in my backyard! I have a cabin in lovells, I ride all around up there where your at. The artillery range is my favorite but do explore the whole area from 75 to twin lakes... we always go to joburgs on the fourth to check out the fireworks. We'll have to hook up sometime. Im right behind hartmans flyshop, just off the main trail. I was up there two weeks ago It was not bad...the farther I went west the worse it got.Lakes of the north area was terrible. But from waters to the east down thru the artillery range was awesome .considering the lack of snow .

Last edited:

Back