My mod Viper with warts

rz500

I started a thread in the General Yamaha section with questions regarding my gas tank. http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70850 This lead to many questions regarding the other mods to my sled. Here is a quick run down off the top of my head:

2002 Viper ER with 7000 miles

- Custom painted gas tank
- Lots of polished and powder coated bits
- Simmons flexi-skis
- Re-built front end and shocks revalved (Fully polished)
- Re-built and customized rear end - Revalved and rebuilt shocks. All bronze bushings and custom gussets though out. Several new grease fittings were also added.
- Ice ripper track with 144 studs down the middle
- Custom made high rise seat. One of the best mods for sure!
- Custom made rear storage rack with led tail light
- Custom handle bars with internal wiring for heaters and most controls (super clean)
- 6" bar riser
- Custom made billet revers knob and gas cap
- 12,000K H.I.D Headlights (great mod for night riding but suck a$$ in the fog!)
- Ceramic coated Bender pipes
- Peak performance billet head
- Bender clutching and jetting
- Rear heat exchanger
- Opticool head gasket
- Custom made hood cable retractor (eliminated scratching on the ceramic pipes)
- Most of the other common mods are all there too

This is a great HIGH speed trail machine. It flat out flies in the top end. This summer I am looking at some additional mods. I would like to extend the rear to at least a 136" and run a more aggresive track (1.5"?). There is soo much horsepower wasted in track spin on this thing. Gearing along with some 8 tooth extros may also be changed for some additional bottom end.

I am open to any suggestions on this machine for some additional bottom end snap. The pipes just take that little bit too long to really get singing.

Thanks

IMG_1517-1.jpg

[
IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Last edited:

That is an incredible looking seat! Did you do the work on it or did you have a shop do it? I am going to redo my seat this summer and now want to do exactly what you have done! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how long have you been running the tripple pipes? I have always wanted to do that to mine but am worried about compromising the reliabilty of that bulletproof motor.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the compliment. The seat was done by myself with a little help from a professional. I don't really have any tips to offer other then select the right density of foam and use a gripper material for the top. I was able to salvage the sides of a stock seat for the yamaha logos. The seat may end up for sale. I was thinking of making one that is a little bit different. My first attempt follows the same lines as the stock seat around the tunnel. In my opinion it makes the seat look a little bulky. If I were to do another I would keep it the same width as the tunnel and trimmed off straight at the bottom.

The pipes have been on for 3 seasons now with no issues at all. The only down fall is a drop off in bottom end performance and the poor fuel economy. I have made all the other mods required to safely run pipes. This along with a proper warm up technique all equals arm ripping and reliable performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...

How did you select or determine the "right density of foam" for the seat and where is a good place to look for that type of foam. Also, what did you use for the frame of the seat?

With regards to your mileage, what are your currently getting for trail riding? I was getting about 12 miles per gallon last season and then I put an M10 suspension in and stretched the track out a 136" over this past summer and the best I have gotten this year was 10.3 mpg.

Finally, how much louder are the pipes over stock? I am hoping to stay as trail friendly as possible.

Thanks again.

I used 3 different types of foam when I made the seat. The bottom layer is stock density and the top is nice and soft. It was purchased from a local store the specializes in the fiber glass and foam supplies.

The pipes are not too much louder than stock. Before the pipes I ran an MBRP race can and I would say it was slightly louder. The gas mileage is poor. If I am really bagging on it, I am luck to get 70 or 80 miles out of a full tank.

Widening the running boards would be a great addition to your already nice looking viper. I did mine last summer and absolutly love it!

Thanks for the reply Rob. I bought an Apex tunnel to mod the running boards this summer. I figured that would be a good project along with a 136" extension.

Nice looking sled. Who sells the Peak Performance head? I wanted one of those a few years ago but no one had any.

Thanks for all the positive comments. The Peak head was from Bender racing. I am not sure if the still offer them or not?

more info?

i would like to see some pics if you can ?i am trying to do the same put the an apex tunnel on a 98 srx 700. all the help i could get would be awsome thx.

looks like u used alot of primer and sanding on the tank to paint it but i love it im thinking of doing mine in blue as well i just finished my dash in high gloss black

I honestly dont think the tank issue is because of the gas vapor. I think it has to do with a bonding issue. Plastic is pretty tough to paint and stay looking a great as it did the first year you did it. From my experience, seeing plastic being painted, it would have to be very well preped it wont last. it will start to buble like yours did and also normally flack off. I am trying my tank this year, im either making a fiber glass mold or i will try just over the plastic.

Back