Walleye fishing on Lake ERIE

Soup Dog

The snowmobile season has been a real dissapointment... Now that it's over a new season begins...The spring walleye!!!! Me and a friend went out yesterday after work and got 6 nice walleye....It's still a little bit early but we did pretty good....Was thinking of taking some TY members out for a fishing trip in Mid April on a Sat or Sun...I have a nice cottage right on Turtle Creek and a 22ft PennYenn that can fish 4 people easily...Let me know if any of you are interested...Spring time can be very difficult on lake Erie so it all depends on the weather!!!I'm leaving for FLA in the morning so it may be a week or so before I get back with you...
Thanks,
Mike

guess they are cataching them in the maumee river pretty good, havent had a chance to go yet,

Yes they are catching some fish in the river, But their not in real thick yet..Water needs to warm up and the fishing will do the same...Mid week should be good it's supposta be warm...But I'm off to Flordia so won't be catching any walleye:(...I used to go river fishing but too many people,too many Snags,And WAY too many DNR...They send 83 DNR for the Maumee and the Sandusky River....I like to JIG for them always done real well...

We are heading over there on May 16th for a Walleye trip. It'll be my first trip to Erie. I am just riding with some buddies and I think they said we are going to Port Clinton.
Any Musky fishing over there?

Sledddheadd...Did you mean April 16th???? The fishing has been good... Not at the peak yet but we are still getting them in the boat...You should be right on time as long as the weather holds up and don;t get real cold for...Port Clinton is about 16 mile's from our cottage,we are just East of P.C..I'm sure I'll be up their that weekend and I heard that they have been Killing them on the reefs out their,Some of the best fishing in the world is right where you'r gonna be..We got 10 yesterday and heading out tonight about 6 for some more...I've been fishing in toledo cause boat ain't yet up their, It's going in this week...Let me know if their anything I can do to help you guys out....If you want to meet up for a beer I know a great place for food and drinks...Good luck and their is no Musky fishing any where around here...Let me know
Thanks MIKE...

sorry about the date mix-up, it is actually May 15th, I was guestimating! We will see how things go, these guys want to drive over there in the am., fish from 2 pm till 8 pm and then drive home. I am not sure why they do not want to spend the night but I may drive myself and spend the night with the wife. maybe we'll drive over on friday night. not 100% sure yet, it is still in the works. we are talking about a 4 1/2 hour drive from chicagoland.

Soup Dog said:
snip...Good luck and their is no Musky fishing any where around here...Let me know
Thanks MIKE...

You'll have to go upstream to Lake St. Clair for Musky. One of the best lakes for Musky in the country.

The small and large mouth on LSC has been awesome too.

Musky spawn in the Detroit and St Clair. Rivers so yes there are some available. Got some easy limits out of Wyandotte this past weekend. Ended up with two 9 lbers and two 8 lbers but most fish were around 4-6 lbs. Looks like things are starting to heat up. Good luck launching out of there, there 634767347 people. FLW tournament on the Detroit next weekend along with some other tourney should be absolute combat fishing!!! See ya out there!!

I never been up that way to go fishing.. we always fish around here..It's a long boat ride up that way from here to Det or even longer to LSC...We do have some great bass,panfish,and some smallmouth down here at our end of the lake...
Sleddheadd that sounds like a LONG day...If you want to I can take you and your wife out the next day fishing!! If you decide to stay the night..It take's only a few minutes to get to the fishing spot it's only half mile out from our cottage...If the In-laws arn't going to be up their that night I can proably put you up for the night at the cottage and save you some cash...It's a month plus away so we've got some time to get it all figured out...Well gotta go cook some dinner so I can go out tonight!!! I hope we get our limit!!!

walleye is closed in MI from march 15th to May 15th except on great lakes or detroit/st clair river. Inland rivers are flooded with 'eyes but they are all out of season on western side of MI. Steelhead have just started to hit the gravel in Western Michigan in the past couple weeks. We need rain to get some new fish movin. The chromers are startin to get a lil stale since the big thaw/melt a month ago!!

CRUSHED THEM!!!! I limited out in 45 min!!! Kept fishing to get our boat limit and ended up with 8... Should of had 10 but the net man missed 2....Great time tonight can't wait to do it all over again...Filling up the freezer..I'll post some pics soon...
Mike

BBlueSRX said:
Musky spawn in the Detroit and St Clair. Rivers so yes there are some available. snip

Actually, most muskie/pike spawning takes place in the North end of LSC (Anchor/Buevier Bay/Canadian side) and St. Clair River delta.

I'm sure my Minn. and Wisc. friends would disagree, but LSC is argueably the best place for G.L. muskie in the country. 2/3 of Michigan Master Angler Muskie entries come out of LSC.

On a side note; My huntin' buddy's kid hooked into a 60" sturgeon in the South end of the Detroit River Saturday.

Soup Dog said:
I never been up that way to go fishing.. we always fish around here..It's a long boat ride up that way from here to Det or even longer to LSCt snip

Yeah, tell me about it. My bud and I took some dancer bimbos to Put-in-Bay some 15 years back and I spent over $500.00 in fuel to get there and back.

It was worth every penny!

Snomofo...
Anytime you can get some strippers to go to the BAY is a great DAY...The Bay is only a 35 minute ride from the cottage so we go their alot love that Lobster Bisque from the Boardwalk....The weather forcast is not looking good for the rest of the week..Hopefully we can get out this weekend and get some more and fill that freezer...I'm gonna put the boat in on Friday and we will Fish in the morning here in toledo and then drive the 35 minutes in the car to the cottage and fish the night their,and then do it all over again, Spend the night their fish morning their and drive back home and Fish the night in toledo...It's still kinda early so I'm hoping it picks up in the next few weeks...It's to bad you can fish for walleye in those inland lake's!!! I'll post some pics today...

Soup Dog said:
Sleddheadd that sounds like a LONG day...If you want to I can take you and your wife out the next day fishing!! If you decide to stay the night..It take's only a few minutes to get to the fishing spot it's only half mile out from our cottage...If the In-laws arn't going to be up their that night I can proably put you up for the night at the cottage and save you some cash...It's a month plus away so we've got some time to get it all figured out...Well gotta go cook some dinner so I can go out tonight!!! I hope we get our limit!!!
That is a definite possibility! I was talking with one of my buddies yesterday and told him I might be spending the night instead of driving. He couldn't undersdtand! lol.... I am possitive Jen and I are driving by ourselves and spending sat. night, I'm sure she would love to go out on sunday morning.
Thanks for the offer! I'll run it by her and see what she thinks!

Sleddheadd...To drive for 9 hrs to go fish for 6 hrs just don't make alot of sense to me...LOL Fishing wears you out, and who wants to sit in a car for the long ride home...I just drove 16hrs from flordia and was beat when I got home...Let me know what you want to do...No problem met alot of great people on here and don't mind helping out another member....Looking forward to meet up with you and catch some fish...You'll have a great time I'll make sure of it...let me know!!
Mike

Back