Best suspension mod for 00 SRX rear skid?

nailsandrails

VIP Member
I have a 00 SRX with Ohlins on the front. I am wondering what the best upgrade is for the rear suspension to make it ride better. I have read that some are using viper shocks? I looked through all the posts, and can't seem to find if this is the way to go, or if a maximum kit would be better? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would like to spend less than 400 and the rear is totally stock right now.

Viper shocks

I have a 2001 SRX 700 with viper shocks in front and rear. They made a huge difference on my sled. You should be able to find a set of used viper rear shocks for $100.00 to $200.00 without to much trouble.

I have a Pioneer Performance long travel rear suspension kit on my 01. It is fantastic. I'm thinking about a PP long travel front this year.

I am sure the Maxx travel kit is about the same as the Pioneer(hence Bruce Shrader used to work at Maxximun). I have ridden the Maxx travel on a SRX and it's incredible. I like it better with the front suspension NOT long traveled. It corners better.

Thanks guys! I am looking into the Pioneer Perf. kit. I have seen nothing but good things about that place on this board.
What is the deal with using the Viper shocks? I would think if they weren't too good for the Viper, they wouldn't be too good for the SRX without re-valving. Maybe the weight difference makes it work? Can anyone explain?

There was nothing wrong with the original Viper shocks. In 01 everyone complained that they wished the SXr had stiffer valving for more aggressive riding styles. So Yamaha answered with the 02 Viper. Now all the wanna be Blair Morgan's of the world realized that the majority of there riding was not as aggressive as they thought. So the complaints went the other way. I have a Viper skid in my SRX and love it (non-revalved) But I also am an aggressive rider and not just a trail snail. Kick Stand is one of my riding buddies and feels the same. However if you are a less aggressive rider you may want to look into the revalved shocks or the Max/Pioneer kit. Also a set of SXR shocks would do the trick.

Ps, we both weigh well over 200#'s which I feel the non-revalved shocks work better for the big boy's.

my understanding is that the 2002 viper shock damping was "too stuff" for most viper buyers. Yamaha had a recall or service agreement in which if you brought your shocks in ( or had service sawap them) , they would be replaced with alternatives with different damping characteristics. many dealerships and/or individuals have the old takeoffs and will sell them.

so some srx'ers are revalving them, but i chose not to.
the local service guy told me that in his opinion, the shocks are set up for serious bump riding and the "whimpy viper buyers" should get a two up if they want to tour and sight see ;)! and recommended leaving mine alone and saving the money.

they are longer travel than the srx and improve the ride. I have completed the install and think i have it dialed in, just waiting for snow now.
i set the rate adjuster ( slot where front attachment of rear shock bolts to skid) to minimum leverage. i therefore get a lot of "sit in" and should make the "stiff shocks" work more and hopefully get a good ride. that is my theory and starting point. if I bottom out, i will move the attachment to get more leverage, thus increasing the stiffness somewhat.

this change makes an 8" srx suspension go to a 11.5" viper travel....

Ramb

working on my 98 srx skid now and i found the axle that holds the top large idler wheels made out of steel swaped it with one out of a sx that is alunimin saved at least 4 or five pounds i dont know if the 00 is the same but is a cheap mod i think

Did you guys have to change the transfer rods to do the Viper Shocks? I just installed it and it seems like maybe it should have new transfer rods???

replace entire rear suspension w/ expertX or M10/M12.
expertX will be best for more aggresive rider w/ best hookup and no top end speed loss. m10 for better stutter bumps ride but you will loose hookup and top end.

Thanks!! That looks like a pretty easy mod to get around the shorter rods. How does that effect the weight transfer? One last question. If I decided to go ahead and spend the money for transfer rods, would I buy them for a viper as apposed to a SRX? I'm assuming the Viper ones would be longer? Any thoughts on how good the transfer is afer doing the long travel (With stock rods)? Are the transfer rods even worth it?

Yes, you would have to buy them for a viper because they are longer. Many people recommend the maxximum performance rods. I run a couple of haucks old ones and they work fine, we are going to be making up some very shortly out of aluminum to lighten up the sled.

or you can do like i did, make an extension for the stock rods, 5/8 dowel, 7.5mm to10mm in length, drilled for the end bolt to slide through.
Someone else gave this idea, cannot recall . he has a pick
he made his 7.5mm longer. i made mine 10mm to allow trial and error of thicker home made nylon bushings to dial in the best gap.

Ramb

Pioneer Perf long travel

I put the Pioneer Perf long travel shocks in the rear skid of my 01 SRX. This basically makes them modified Viper shocks. Very happy with the upgrade. I put the adjustable front shock brackets on also to raise the front a few inches. This really helped "lessen" the darting problem I had.
All in all for the ~ $350, I think it is money worth spent.

Back