Is There Any Michigan Police Officers On Here????

ExpertXViper

I need some help.......Im trying to get my 05 WR450 approved for street legal use, the bike is ready to hit there street with Turn Signals, Horn, Sumo/DOT approved tires, Mirror. and the form I need from S/S but my local police dept keeps telling me they dont have the man power to do so anymore. Even though I was there yesterday and there was 2 people working the counter doing nothing at all, I was the only one there and no phones were ringing or nothing. They told me to contact the state police to due so, so they gave me the number to call which I did and the Seg. of traffic control told me your local police station is more than capable of doing so. So I called again today and Im getting both the same answers from both, so it pretty much tells me neither of them are willing to help. So Im just looking for some help or input on the issue. Thanks

take it to your local cop shop they will dispatch for an officer to come inspect. calling them isnt go to do anything for you

drive it up the road you will find all sorts of officers with spare time. prob not the attention you want but you can count on them for that

ExpertXViper said:
I need some help.......Im trying to get my 05 WR450 approved for street legal use, the bike is ready to hit there street with Turn Signals, Horn, Sumo/DOT approved tires, Mirror. and the form I need from S/S but my local police dept keeps telling me they dont have the man power to do so anymore. Even though I was there yesterday and there was 2 people working the counter doing nothing at all, I was the only one there and no phones were ringing or nothing. They told me to contact the state police to due so, so they gave me the number to call which I did and the Seg. of traffic control told me your local police station is more than capable of doing so. So I called again today and Im getting both the same answers from both, so it pretty much tells me neither of them are willing to help. So Im just looking for some help or input on the issue. Thanks

I did the same thing on an old IT I converted and had no trouble with the SCS police. Started it up, flicked the turn signals and brakes, beeped the horn and I was done. Took all of about 30 seconds.

I didn't call in advance and just walked in and asked for someone to look at the bike which was in the back of the truck. Maybe by having the bike with me it forced thier hand. Shame on you for calling ahead not wanting to waist your time. Ask to speak to the head screw perhaps?

I've heard of the same "man power" excuse for delays in CCW permits too.

Criminy yokes, what's it take to walk out to the parking lot.

Yea the only reason I was calling is so I didnt waste my time loading up the bike and end up driving around town for nothing.So I guess Ill just do that and see where I get. Thanks for the input guys.

If you don't get theresponse you want from the desk boys go to the Chief. If he does not get it done complain to your city mgr, he's their boss. Remind him you are a TAX paying citizen and it's their JOB. They really work for you as a taxpayer. If all else fails the State Police weighmaster in Oak Park is a pretty nice gut, offered to weigh my trailer in parking lot or meet me at a closed weigh station. just my 02!

The problem is the cops don't want to take the responsibility of "certifying" what was a non street legal bike because they don't really know what to look for, so they just turn you away......

I had similar issues years ago with getting my WR426 certified in Warren. If you go to sec of state they should have a green form for you to have the police certify your ride.
I went(took my bike) to my local police dept 3 times and was denied 3 times, called the State police in Romeo and asked them to certify it and they told me to go back to my local PD(They stated that my local officers were being lazy and NOT wanting to do THEIR job).
On the the 3rd and final trip to my local PD and after beign denied again, upon my leaving a motorcycle cop left the precinct so I chased him down along with being chewed on by the then GF that I was going to get a ticket for chasing a cop down, I told her I guess that my bike will get certified then won't it!?
After pulling the officer over he asked for the light green colored form then proceeded to certify(along with asking a few questions about the lights and stuff) my bike in about the matter of 2-3 minutes and asked If I knew where the local sec of state was and then told me "hey its over here" and wished me good luck riding.

Last edited:

Back