88 Exciter steering

loach

I'm looking to tighten up the steering a bit more on the Exciter. I have the front cowlings off and noticed the stabilizer bar has some play at one of the joints. I'm not sure how to get the bar off so I'm looking for some help from anyone who may know. The joint itself is rusted but not bad. Is there supposed to be play in this? I already have the shim kit on and this helped and I tightened up the tie rod ends. That helped to. Last year when I was riding the front end wanted to dart around when I got in the ski ruts of other sleds. I want to keep the sled due to low miles but the steering is a little annoying. Thanks for the help!

When you say stabilizer bar, I think you're referring to the steering rod which goes from tie rod to tie rod? I own a '93 exciter sx, I have mine ripped apart right now, and removed this rod by taking off the rubber cap on the top of the tie rod end, pulling the cotter pins, taking the nuts off and popping them out. Your main steering shaft (where your bars are attatched to) runs down behind the engine, and is connected to one shaft which goes to the right tie rod. The steering rod I'm referring to, hooks up here as well, but shoots across the belly pan to the left tie rod to steer the left ski. I found on mine that the main shaft in behind the engine, is held in place by a metal guide with a nylon insert. Mine was worn quite badly, and was the cause of half of my erratic steering problems. You might want to be careful about adjusting tie rods in to take up steering slack. This will usually cause your skis to toe in or out. Hope I'm talking about the right thing. :)

The bar I'm talking about is the stabilizer not the tie rods. It sits upfront under the muffler. Where it connects is to the front of the strut assembly on the shock tower. If you look it has a joint with a clip on it. I was wondering if this joint is supposed to have play in it or not. Mine has some rust on it so I can't tell if it's worn or just has play. I can pop a photo of it if it will help. Thanks for the reply

THose sway bar loints have nothing to do withthe steering. Just the sway bar. If you took it of it wouldn't make any difference except the sled would want to roll over. If you want to take it off take the top scissors bolt out as well as the middle. Remove one of the clips off either end and there is a cross pin you have to tap out. Your darting problem is ski alignment. If your steering is tight give the thing a 1/4" of toe out and it will stop darting.

Back