stud questions

rancidjo

I am very new to the whole studding scene. I am considering studding my stock 02 viper. How many should I run? Just down the center or outsides too? Will I see a huge benifit on the trail (do not do much lake running). I would also welcome any other thoughts or suggestions on this topic.

off the top of my head I can not recall the lug height of the vipers stock track. I believe that it is a 1" lug and in that case I have had a lot of success in running 1.080 woody's studs in it. I would recomend that you run 96 studs right down the center of the track for excellent traction on almost everything. If you ride on the trails a ton like you said, I would only go with 96 studs because 144 is overkill, but definitally not more then 144!

.92 height. Will 96 be enough, will they rip out too easy? Or should I go to a 120 pattern. I read on some manufactor's website; 1 stud per hp, which would be 120. OR is 96 enough; I would like to get away with only running 96 if it is a good set-up. I only run 10% lake. I would like to install studs for better acceleration and a little more safety (icy corners, stopping etc.) Would 7" of 90 degree carbide be enough for 96 or 120 studs?

Last edited:
If you want to buy some GOOD carbide, we have some in sizes 4/6/8/10. We guarantee them to be the longest lasting on the market. We always recommend people to use 8 to 10 inches of carbide because what people dont understand is that if you run 4" of carbide you have to turn your handle bar so much to make a turn, if you run 10" of carbide, you only have to turn your handle bars half of that to make the same turn. If the track is a .92 lug track, I would recommend that you run 1.005 woody's studs carbide tipped. I think that if you run 120 that would also work out great for you, as long as you have the cash. We can sell you the woody's 1.005 carbide tipped studs for you too. I believe that 120 would work awsome for you. Also, it is impossible to determain whether or not a stud will tear out but most likely if you run 120 studs, they will not tear out as long as installed properly. If you have any other questions let me know

not sure on hieght but i ran 120 right down the center, 2 in one paddle 3 the next then 2,3,2,3 all the way around. mine is holding up well and i ride some ice and it makes a big difference. and diffenetly run some good sized carbids. i think that i am runing 12 inches of it either that or 10

I am running 96 studs at 1.15 on my srx. I just spinn because only 40% of your studs are on the ground at one time. I would recommend 144 studs for a snowmobile that makes at least 100hp or more.

I agree with NY...
for a machine of that caliper, at least 144....this way you are spreading the load of the traction on more studs(less likely for track failure and advancing stud wear)...
also...another thing to consider is if you have any intentions of adding a pipe later which will mean more power and more traction requirements...
as to track longevity....running studs in the center area is best...but if you want to know my advanced method of installation...p.m. me...

yea, i would never go less than 144 on a sled over 600cc. Personally i run 192

Back