Post your Vintage Sleds Here

BlueByYou2000

Super Moderator
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
I recently picked up an 80 Exciter that was rough. Has been sitting outside for at least 15 years. Anyway, i havent shot any pics yet and probably should have before I started restoring it. I have a good start on it and got it running. Although I couldnt get the pilot jet out of the carb, it was not coming out. I blew some carb clean down the pilot hole and did get a steady spray into the carb so hopefully it will work ok. I runs, but its like the choke is on and wont clean out. So next step is to rip the carb back off and see if the float is stuck.

I also have my eye on a 78 SRX that a bud has had sitting in his garage for the last 15 years. Hopefully he will sell it to me. I really want a 77 or 76 SRX but man they are bringing HUGE money.

Let me know what everyones working on, or what you have.

Here's one I gave to my youngest son (now 21) a couple of years ago when he decided he wanted a 78 (black and white). I don't have any pics of when it arrived here but it was a mess. I paid $40 for it as a disgustingly dirty, beat up, dilapitated disaster that had good compression and spark. The then 19 year old son got it for free along with free reign of the barn for parts (t'was full at the time) and help when needed from the old man as long as a "thanks pop" was included in the deal. The kid turned it into this with minimal help and a wopping total of $8.75 out of (his) pocket expense. He also has an 05 RX1 that is his daily rider but this is his favorite. His buddies won't ride it because they say it's a "P.O.S." but he and I know it's really because they arn't man enough for hanging it out "OLD SCHOOL". It's no frills but lots of thrills and still gives all that want to run from it a look of respect when they realize that with an eger, capable body at the controls it can still run with the big dogs on the trails without panting. Kind of like a one legged man placing an a$$ kicking contest. The seat has been redone since the pics and he has more plans for sprucing it up a bit but she's no queen and he runs her hard.

opsled

Attachments

• Steve's 78 Exciter 031.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 031.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 032.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 032.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 007.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 007.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 015.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 015.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 028.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 028.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I've been collecting and riding old sleds since 1991. It's a sickness!!
Mainly Yamaha's and AMF Ski Daddlers,but I love them all. I have about 30 sleds.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC01587.jpg
    DSC01587.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 41
opsled said:
Here's one I gave to my youngest son (now 21) a couple of years ago when he decided he wanted a 78 (black and white). I don't have any pics of when it arrived here but it was a mess. I paid $40 for it as a disgustingly dirty, beat up, dilapitated disaster that had good compression and spark. The then 19 year old son got it for free along with free reign of the barn for parts (t'was full at the time) and help when needed from the old man as long as a "thanks pop" was included in the deal. The kid turned it into this with minimal help and a wopping total of $8.75 out of (his) pocket expense. He also has an 05 RX1 that is his daily rider but this is his favorite. His buddies won't ride it because they say it's a "P.O.S." but he and I know it's really because they arn't man enough for hanging it out "OLD SCHOOL". It's no frills but lots of thrills and still gives all that want to run from it a look of respect when they realize that with an eger, capable body at the controls it can still run with the big dogs on the trails without panting. Kind of like a one legged man placing an a$$ kicking contest. The seat has been redone since the pics and he has more plans for sprucing it up a bit but she's no queen and he runs her hard.

opsled

Great looking Exciter. Do you happen to have any parts for them? I need front bumper, windshield, left side hood louvre (back of hood by left knee), and maybe some skis.

1977 or 78 rupp 440 nitro. only 2200 miles on her. had it forever and want to get rid of it if offered enough. i may keep it as garage art.

rupp.jpg

BlueByYou2000 said:
opsled, can you answer something for me? On the carb, there are 2 pickups on the pto side of the carb. The lower is the fuel hook up, but what is the top one for?

The top one is the "power air jet". It should not have anything conected to it. It is part of the air metering system for the main fuel jet. The passages should be clean but there isn't anything else that needs to be done with it.

As for your previous question. I don't have much for Exciters or parts for them anymore. At one time I had 15 to 20 of them in the barn in various states. I have also had many others that I have bought, built and sold over the years. I sold all of the Exciters (except for one 77 that I have plans for) along with about 25 other sleds and two big trailer loads of parts. I also kept all of my 81 SRX/83-87 Vmax 540 stuff and my Vmax-4 stuff. I just had to narrow down my perspective (so to speak). A freind named Mike Vollmer buoght it all. He has a buisness repairing sleds and other stuff and is into vintage big time. He is on VintageSleds.com as Yamaha Nuts. If you are in need of somthing his buisness phone is 262-363-7554. He has LOTS!! of stuff for early Yammies.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

77 Srx

Here is one of my 77's that I own. My 76 340 Exciter I just sold a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• DSC00646.jpg
    DSC00646.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
  • dsc02092.jpg
    dsc02092.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 15
  • dsc01452.jpg
    dsc01452.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
  • dsc01451.jpg
    dsc01451.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 17
  • dsc01305.jpg
    dsc01305.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
No snow in my picture,,As a birthday present, I was
"allowed" to line them up in the backyard for a few pics.
gallery_27_351_79180.jpg

Had the narrow tracks to Batavia show the day before
and took the opourtunity to get the wide tracks out and
take a pic of the group on the lawn.
....these are the 7 models of fluid drive sleds I'm aware
of ,,BUT there might be a bogie,15 inch 1974 TL missing.
Pics in parts catalog and prototype show in sales literature.
The "missing link"
Ron

Ron,

I still have my '74 TL433F and have not been able to get started on the restoration because we keep haveing kids!!! Nate is now 10 months old and he IS the last one for sure after the last medical procedure I had!!!

I am interested in getting started on it sometime this coming winter and would like to add electric start to it. Do you have any good leads as to where I can find the parts? I have the service manual and a web link for all the part numbers now I just need to find the parts. Any info/hlep you can provide for any/all parts would be very much appreciated.
Mills

Hi Ryan...yours didn't fare so well but has supplied
some parts for others.While sitting around in ThunderBay
it dry seized on me and made a good home for some rodents both there and here. There are 5 more in shed with
it and 4 more hyd units on shelves. Your sled is still very
complete and may run again,,some day.
I took pics from every angle including from the roof of the
house...
It was always suspect that "Mills" may have a bogie version, but was never confirmed.
Thanks for compliment
Ron

Mills,,,,I guess you were posting while I was thinking...
I have 2 "spare" 74's plus my original from new.BUT many
of the same parts are broken on each...figure out what you
may need some day and maybe I can help.....IS yours
sliders ? and still single cog drive....maybe PM me so we
don't derail the topic (too much LOL)..
Ron

I'm just glad to see it being used for something whether it's in pieces or as a whole. Sorry to hear about it locking up on you. It was always such a good little runner.

Thanks to Ron, My TL433 is now a functional snowmobile again. Anyone who has never riden a Hydraulic Yamaha is missing a treat.
Who knows,maybe someday there will be a meet just for these sleds.

Mark

Ryan...your sled is in here with 5 others,
gallery_27_232_70056.jpg

It seems that for every good sled I have , there are all
the not as good sleds found first and aquired later to use
as parts
gallery_27_232_135142.jpg

Monty had electric start on a PR and you will need a donor
sled such as a TW433F , or an EW from 73 or 74..
as the wide tracks tended to have it standard, the rest
semed to be optional..Require its flywheel, and all the wiring . battery goes in front tool box ,,the flywheel
housing should already be able to mount the starter.
..Time to go home for supper...
the socks on the EW are to protect my head, it's not cold
(Hi Mark)
Ron

Back