Expert X 4 Viper

dfroster

Thinking about installing and Expert X on the ole' Viper. Read the review and a little concerned about the skid changing the Viper's on-rail handling.
Any input about the handling or ride or anything else about the X is much appreciated.
Thanks!

if you run the expert x tall it will not handle on rails..if you drop it to the lower ride hieght it will handle mucher closer to that rail feel.

So in your opinion is Expert X better than the M-10 ? Which do you prefer? I was kicking the idea around as well but cant decide on which one? The look of the X is cool looking. But I know looks dont matter in this area.

Last edited:
the m10 has way better ride in all condistions...I choose the m10...but I was out to race all the time the m10 is not for you...it will kill your hole shot and top speed. FOr a trail rider there is nothing better then an M10 mabe the new RX1 monoshock...I will let you know on that one.. ;)!

dfroster said:
Thinking about installing and Expert X on the ole' Viper. Read the review and a little concerned about the skid changing the Viper's on-rail handling.
Any input about the handling or ride or anything else about the X is much appreciated.
Thanks!

I've got a 136" Expert X in a Viper, and I totally agree with Mr. Sleds comments. If you set up the Expert X in the highest ride setting you will lose some of the on-rail handling. You can however adjust the ride height setting a little lower to improve your handling to your liking. He is also right that the M-10 will be a better riding skid in all conditions. I've ridden some M-10 Vipers and they do ride great. Both suspensions have their compromises, you need to decide which is the best for your applications.

From my experience with the Expert X, you will gain in holeshot, weight transfer, speed and acceleration over the M-10. It it more of a performance skid. For my style of "spirited" riding that's why I chose it over the M-10. I really like all of the adjustability of the Expert X. You can also run your track tension insanely loose with the Expert X which results in great hyfax wear. If you're looking for the most comfortable skid, M-10 wins.

Check out the RX-1 site and do a seach on the Expert X or M-10. There are a ton of postings there from the last 2 seasons from RX-1 and Warrior owners that have used both skids. The Expert X vs. M-10 debate is one of the greatest snowmobiler topics ever. You'll have to let us know which side of the fence you end up on. If you do end up with the Expert X and have any set up questions, feel free to get in touch with me. If you end up with the M-10, good luck with that piece of _ _ _ _. Just kidding, you can't lose with either one, just remember what I said about losing speed with the M-10:) It's all good.

Hope this helps.........Boomer.

Last edited:
It does help and thanks guys! If I fall one way or the other, I'll let you know and relate my experiences.

thats what people are claiming, tom is going to let us know this winter, as he has just installed the 8 inch rears on his SXR with the m-10

When I took the sled to the lake last weekend it seemed to get to 120+ on the speedo much quicker....and hold the top speed better then it did last year....I will try and run it thru the gun tomorrow on the lake if everything goes well ;)!

Back