Bring back the R7

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
How many bikers on here would love to see Yamaha come back with the R7 for the street?It's not that I wouldn't dearly love to have an R1 but where I live the cost to insure a 750cc bike vs a 1000 is enough to persuade me to think about buying a GSXR 750 because Yamaha doesn't have an R7.Don't get me wrong I like Suzuki too,my first bike was a 750 Katana but I really wish the big brands would consider re visiting the 750cc super sport market.I know that all the racing these days is either 600 or 1000cc's but I have to wonder if more people think the same way I do for the same fiscal reasons,insurance prices.

It's a shame that the volume of sales of these 750cc bike would no doubt hardly justify the set up to produce them because I think that there is definitely a market out there for them.According to magazine articles the GSXR is very close in performance to liter bikes and weighs comparable to the 600cc bikes.It's almost the best of both worlds.

Im not sure but IMO after jumping from my R6 to my buddies gsxr750 ill take the 600 anyday. I had a first gen r6 full yosh exhaust and dyno tuned it had no problem with his 08 750 with a yosh slip on. Why waste money on a 750 when a 600 provides the same if not better performance? I rode a few litre bikes rode the 750's my next bike is going to a new 600, then again just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Performance is the same if not better, its cheaper all around and I got 53 mpg on my old 600. I dont think the market would be big enough to justify producing a 750 area bike.

The GSXR 750 is the best of both worlds. On an arerage road corse with an average driver.... the 750 will usually come out on top. A litre bike can get the average driver into a heap of trouble in the blink of an eye.
Yes your correct ...the weight of a 600 and comperable performance of a litre bike.
On the drag strip the R1s, GSXR1000 and the kaw litre bike obvously dominate.

Average driver on road corse....GSXR750 rules.

And a definate Yes to getting a R7 back

I guess I am just being a little nostalgic in my thinking here,750's were "the" bikes around here when I was younger,not performance wise just in numbers.My bud had a first year ZX7 in 1991,that thing ripped,and a few others had GSXR's etc,I just personally feel 600's are peaky and liter bikes I agree are too much for the average rider.
Yamaha made the R7 for racing basically even though it came with lights and such so a true street version would be smokin and like the GSXR the best of 2 worlds,not to mention cheaper for me to insure which is basically what I was getting at with the difference in cc size.

The GSXR750 is in a class all by itself......no one to compete with.

The R7 would throw a big wrench in Suzuki plan for sub-litre domination.

You want a litre bike that has absolutely insane power delivery.....find yourself a 05 or 06 Kaw ZX10. They got into the states with no cat to hold them back as well as no restrictor. Constantly neck and neck with the Busa.

Back