What's it worth?

YooperMike

An older cousin of mine inherited her step-son's 2009 Summit Everest 600 146" due to circumstances beyond her control and is now trying to sell it. She asked me how much it should go for, but I have no idea what to tell her as I've only purchased older YAMAHA sleds. I asked her about the mileage and she thought it was around 1000. It is black on black with a white graphics package. I looked up kelly blue book and 'retail' value is around $6700. Is this way too much? Trade in was around $4500, maybe somewhere in the middle? I have no idea how much it was new....any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mike, it depends on the area.. Just like real estate,, LOCATION,,LOCATION,, LOCATION...Sleds are cheaper in Chicago, than in, lets say Eagle River, Wisconsin... It also depends on the Market and time of year that you sell it.. in March or April, you can get a better deal on BUYING a sled because theyseller doesn't have to STORE IT all summer,,,, thus depreciating the vehicle by letting it SIT and get MORE MONTHS OLDER.... AUGUSt isn't a good month either,, because everyone wants to ge LAST YEARS MODELS a 1000.00 cheaper.. Dealers want to MOVE last years models because they have been sitting around costing them MONEY every month JUST SITTING THERE... THE BEST TIME to sell a USED snowmobile is " right when the first snowfall happens".. A LOT of people are impulse buyers.. Impulse buyers that buy BIG TICKET ITEMS USUALLY wait till the NEED for a snowmobile and don't have time to anticipate a snowfall a month or two away... Thats why there are NOT VERY MANY DEALS on SUITS/ETC in January !!! Thats when the dealers can get TOP BUCKS for their stuff !!! USUALLY the trade in value is what you sell to a PRIVATE PARTY for and the DEALER sells the USED SLED at RETAIL because they have to write "paper": on it... The Dealer usually takes the down payment and sells the "paper" to a loan company for $$$$.. The dealer has to pay 10,000 a month for their facility,, thus the need for the "retail" pricing.. The private seller USUALLY thinks they can get RETAIL just like the dealer can,,, but,,you don't PAY ADVERTISERS THOUSANDS of dollars yearly to funnel POTENTIAL BUYERS to your garage.... So you see,, TWO DIFFERENT MARKETS.. When I look for a snowmobile,, I look for the BEST PRICE...... I KNOW WHAT I WANT and I do the homework BEFORE I BUY.... I KNOW basically what the market is and I make my best deal with whoever wants to deal.. I'll drive 500 -1000 miles and MAKE A VACATION OUT OF IT just to save a GRAND !!! You see,, it PAYS for the vacation and I get a deal... it's a WIN -WIN situation for me...

You could get 4500 NOW OR Hold out till it snows and get 5500 then...

Ok, gotcha. This is not a MUST sell right now situation, it could wait until Nov/December. The sled is in the U.P. of Michigan, near Baraga. Looking for opinions on starting prices....

craigslist and ebay are the " real life" prices... Dealers charge 1000.00 EXTRA tacked on to cover their "expenses" (if you will)... Wait till the START OF SEASON DEALS are over with and you will get MORE CASH for your sled... Good Luck !!!

Back