1996 vmax xt skid

super1c

Super Moderator
I know if im right that the xt had 10.5 in of travel, has anyone put viper shocks in this skid. My daughter rides it now and it could use some new shocks and i have a pair with some life left i was going to try and put in this skid. Just looking to see if anyone has tried or done it yet. Just a thought and was going to give it a try. Tried this post at the viper site and someone thought it would be about the same as long traveling a SRX. Any other thoughts? CCC

lucky you, working on the bastard year skid. first proaction rear and only with the wider arms prior to narrowing of the tunnel in the subsequent years. to almost answer your question, based on my notes, heres some food for thought: that skid should have the rear shock at 468mm, eye to eye, extended, or 310.5mm compressed, center at 330 extended, 242.5 compressed. compare to the viper specs (i havent those at this computer)and that should put you in the ballpark.

Im just starting some ground work now so when i get the sleds out to start working on them ill be a little ahead of the game. Not sure it will work as a straight bolt in but we will see. Ill keep ya posted as to what i find. Im sure most will say just change the skid out but id like to keep it as stock as i can. CCC

I also have a 1996 XT. I was wondering if the "set up your skid" advice from betheviper applies to this transition year?

I don't see a W arm, so I guess not. Any ideas for improvement on the '96 xt skid? The fronts on mine are totally frozen. Been working on getting them apart for at least a month (off and on). I took off the whole shock assembly and will have to get some pro help from a friend.

I must be losing my mind as i swore i posted a answer to post # 6 post yesterday. They are not the same skid but the theroy shoud be the same. No w arm so that dont count but still lots of bushings and shafts to tighten up for sure. So betheviper's shim might work or a slight mod. Im not to my xt yet. I just tore into my viper s skid today to get it ready for the ohlins, this is where the shocks are comming from. Do a search for shock rebuild ect, i just did today and found tons of info on the xt skid. Replace all bushings and such as i will do and it will make for a better ride for sure. Now to find out what happend to my reply post from yesterday???? CCC

Well guys finally got around to the xt skid. I am going to do the BTV skid rebuild on it. It will be a bit modified obviously. For shocks this is what i came up. A stock center shock of a viper ( or any long travel sled) will replace the center shock on the xt. They are both 13" (330mm). Now for the rear skid shock it took a bit more looking into. It seems that a SRX front shock is the same size 13.5". And from what i can tell from my research the eyelets are the same also. I would just change out the spring to the xt spring. Let me know what you think or if any other ideas. Be sure to let me know if you see anything wrong with this. CCC

That is great news on the front shock those are hard to find.

Not sure on the top shock but that seems interesting.

I think you need to check one more thing which is the compress length of the shocks to make sure they compress to the same dimensions.

Checked the center shock extended and compressed for xt to viper, same. The rear for xt and front SRX also apear to be the same. This is per info i found here for front SRX compressed and extended compared to my measurements on my xt rear shock. CCC

I too have a 96 XT with shot shocks, trying to figure out what is the more logical path, replace skid, replace skid W. longer one and track, find aftermarket replacments, or burn her down..not paying $800 for new OEM units...
I did find some good info regarding OEM cross referenced units from other Yami sleds..it appears the MM/Msrx have very simular shocks to the XT...

http://hem.passagen.se/rogg/yamsetup/startsida_eng.htm
scroll over "Tables" then "rear suspension" then click "shock length"...

Last edited:
Baghdadbanger said:
I too have a 96 XT with shot shocks, trying to figure out what is the more logical path, replace skid, replace skid W. longer one and track, find aftermarket replacments, or burn her down..not paying $800 for new OEM units...
I did find some good info regarding OEM cross referenced units from other Yami sleds..it appears the MM/Msrx have very simular shocks to the XT...

http://hem.passagen.se/rogg/yamsetup/startsida_eng.htm
scroll over "Tables" then "rear suspension" then click "shock length"...

Anybody .... ?

Rear center shocks are close but know for sure any long travel center will interchange. Its the rear thats tuff. That rear/rear shock is 13.5 ish (343MM) Only thing i found close was SRX front shock. By data a exact match. CCC

Back