A lesson learned

ekimsx600

Website
www.freewebs.com
Today I decided to get my motorcycle ready for winter storage. One of my things to do was to drain the gas. I had alomst 3/4 of a tank so i figured that I would put it in my sled.
After I was done with the bike I decided to go and find a place to hook up my electric shield on the sled. So I grabbed my meter and started the sled. All was going well when my sled backfired and died. I thought it was a little strange so I started it again to see what was going on. The sled started and started to backfire again. When I looked at my egt's the mag side cylinder temp was down. I had a fouled plug. So I changed the plug and thought everythnig was ok. I started the sled, let it warm up and figured I would get the track spinning. I was holding the throttle at about 4500 rpm when it started to backfire again. This time the pto cylinder temp was down. I had fouled another plug. I changed the plug and sat there looking at the sled trying to figure out why all of a sudden my sled, which was running like a champ the other day, was give me a hard time.
Then I figured it out. The tank was almost empty when i put the gas from the bike in. The gas had been sitting in the bike for over 6 weeks and was full of water. When i drained the gas from the sled, I looked in the tank and could see the water droplets in the bottom of it. I can't believe the the gas went bad that quick, but it happened. My great running sled turned into a plug snuffing machine!
I guess the moral of the story is if you have any doubt about the condition of the gas you are putting in your sled, don't put it in, go and buy fresh stuff unless you have no other choice. I know I will!:o|

Back