piped viper without rear cooler! anybody?

..SNAKEBIT..

VIP Member
just bought a used set of CPR pipes and puting them on 02 Viper. I was not planing on adding the rear cooler. I have never had the light come on in the stock form. was wondering how guys were making out with this set up?
also going to run tempa flow, what are you setting carbs at?? Thanks

I Have The Same Pipes Plus The Head Work Done,if You Do Not Put The Heat Exchanger Your Light Will Come On In Low Snow Conditions.

I ran those pipes in 2002 and never saw a heat light. If you are in limited conditions you may need to dip her in some snow once in a while. That with any sled pipe's or no pipes. Don't get me wrong I am not saying you should not put a rear cooler in but I never had a problem. I just installed Aaen pipes on another 2002 a month ago. I'm confident there will not be a problem. I run a thicker head gasket, water wetter, good gas and synthetic oil. I also use my head in limited snow conditions. That's just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

I have an o2 viper mountain with bender pipes 165 main and 45.5 or 55.5 piolet jets. We just got 4" of snow not much ! but I have no rear heat exchanger and it never over heated. i dont think i am not going to put a heat exchanger on it. I was driving in -3 to - 5 weather.

just because the temp light isn't coming on doesn't mean that its not running hot. The temp light is an idiot light, saying it is getting WAY too hot, but in reality it should be running quite a bit below where the temp light comes on at. I would add the rear exchanger without question, it will also improve the sled's consistency dramatically

I just checked with the Yamaha dealer. He said the light on the Viper comes on very early. I think he said around 180 degrees or so. I think when that like comes on you have plenty of time to cool her down. Not to whip a dead horse here but you will be ok without it unless you run limited conditions or a lot of lake racing all the time. I beat the snot out of mine on the lake all season and never had a problem with power loss or loosing mph after a few runs. If you have the cash and want to have the extra insurance do it.

thats part of the problem I don't have the cash! thats why it took this long to buy a set of used pipes to install had the sled new!

02 with SLP's, no rear heat exchanger, light has never came on. Mostly mountain riding, probably not as much hard pack riding as you boy's out east get.

Had the overheating problem from the first day I drove sled bled the thing a million times still had the problem put exchanger on it no more problems.If you can get the money to put the exchanger on do so, because you will spend a hell of alot more money in the long run or be on the side of the trail like me throwing snow on it.(just not worth it).

You might not need it. I had over heating problems on my stock 02... Light came on in extreme cold all the time. Installed a temp gauge and found out the temp light comes on right around 180 to 200... Not really that hot. I run the rear cooler on my stock sled just as insurance.

Back