136" Relocate skid or Not??

..SNAKEBIT..

VIP Member
Looking to do a 136 kit and I am wondering if I should go with the std or the relocated skid mounts???? Looking for mostly crosscountry type of riding, with a few groomed trails and 1 mountain trip a year. Was thinking of doing like ? skidooboyed?
on his srx, but with a 1-1/2" lug? Will moving the skid back give me a little more ski pressure for trail riding??
Thanks for any responds ..SNAKEBIT..

What sled are you thinkn of doing the relocate on?

I've done a few long tracks where we go from stock 141 up to 151-159 and relocating the skid is not recommended.

Some go with new rails or rail extensions, the gist of it is that the Proaction skid is real sensitive to geometry changes, you can relocate the skid, but the setup needs to be fine tuned to gain proper ride sag, transfer, etc etc etc. Can be done, just a little sensitive.

You may gain on ski pressure but loose alot of transfer that you may not get back, and/or ride charactersistics for suspension quality adjustments could suffer beyond your liking.

Depends on what sled you want to do it with,

Just my thoughts.

Extensions

Throw a set of extensions on that 121 ( the ones that hifax attaches to) and leave the skid where it is. Hope you don't weigh too much though.

@ 220# why?? the people I talked make it sound like there as strong as
the rails. I ride aggressive, but I am sure others will be alot harder on them than I will. Do you think I will have problems bending them??

I don't think you'll bend em. Would take a pretty stiff tail landing or freak accident. 121 extended to 136 are 7.5" extensions. I ride with 3 guys with 156 extended from 141 which is the same thing and none of them have had a problem. We ride 90% mountains though. My current sled is 141 to 151 so 5" extensions and no probs.

We have a guy in town that streched a shorty Viper to 151 with a setback, extensions, and big wheel kit in the back to take up some of the track and it just plain looks goofy. The front end sits too low, the skid doesn't sit flat on the ground, all around goofy. BTW it doesn't climb worth a chit either.

weight

When you extend a shorty 121 to 136 using extensions you use the same mounting locations which makes the conversion and geometry pretty close to stock and easy to convert but by going that 7 1/2 inches back this increases your tendency to bottom easier on tail landings because of the added leverage. The true 136 rails have the rear suspension back further to resist that hence your weight is a factor on shorties with extensions. I also noticed when going slower down a moguled trail when just the back 6" of the track is on a bump it collapses a lot easier than an O.E 136 and I'm 170 #

relocate skid or not?

So are you saying that it would be best to relocate the skid back farther and have shorter extensions??

moving

It is better to move the skid back with shorter Extensions but only a certain distance. The further you move the whole skid back the greater the possibility of Spearing your track. That is putting the front of your rail through your track clips, that is why Yamaha kept the front suspension mount holes on the O.E. 136 rails in the same place and moved the rear mounting back on the longer rail and further back on the tunnel. What ever you choose to do remember when the attack angle part of your track hits a mogul or deep snow it will push the track into your rails and if there is no rail you may spear your track, also uncoupled suspensions are affected by collapsing the rear of the skid which tips the rails into the track amplifying this but tightening your front limiter straps helps prevent it but decreases suspension travel. Which ever simply keep your eyes on excessive wear on your front rail caps, they are a good indicator if your O.K.

Back