New sled buyers beware.

doc04viper-s

I posted a new thread a couple of days ago, "04 Viper-s Will not rev pas about 7200 anyone have any ideas? " Thanks to a couple of guys help I think I found my problem. DIRTY CARBS! I bought a new 04 Viper S a couple of weeks ago. What I beleive happend is the dealer never pulled the carbs and cleaned them. I am not sure if it standard practice to pull them but I can tell you mine were a disaster. If or when I buy another new sled I will ask if the carbs have been cleaned. Just something to ask when you buy a new one.
I tried to post some pics of the carbs and how dirty they were but had no luck.

Ride on my brothers! :rocks:

Where did you buy your viper s if you dont mind telling,I just bought a new viper s also and have yet to ride it.It looks like its been greased,but i was wondering if my carbs were done also?

picked up the 04 viper at the dealer last year and the carbs had not been cleaned and not one zerk had been touched with grease, after calling the service dept and speaking to the manager i was told it's not standard procedure on new sleds. i said thats fuc**** absurd, laughed and hung up.

That's great that you got it sorted out. Keep in mind that stabilizer is super cheap insurance against it happening again. I start running it in February, never know when the weather will make your last ride the last ride of the season.

I bought a brand new 02 srx 700 from Holthauers in Nashville IL this last august and the carbs were really dirty. Glad I took them off and check could have been real bad.

I have only got to ride it across the yard but I can tell it should be fine. From the looks of the inside of my carbs it should be standard procedure to clean up those carbs on a new sled.

I just called the dealer and they told me the carbs should be fine since it was in a crate and just put together within the last 3 months.

ya but yamaha ships with gas in carbs/sled. not much but just enought to ruin a days riding on your new sled. be safe getem cleaned.

I got a great deal on the sled and they were pretty about all the crate damage it had but than they got real stand offish about a plastic belly pan that had what looked to be fork lift damage. I ended up getting all my parts but it ended up getting ugly with Yamaha involved.

Maim said:
ya but yamaha ships with gas in carbs/sled. not much but just enought to ruin a days riding on your new sled. be safe getem cleaned.

I asked the dealer this,and he said there are no fluids what so ever in a sled when he recieves them in a crate.They are test run and then run dry at the factory,so i shouldnt have any problems with dirty carbs.

I would stay away from that dealer in the future and give your business to another dealer you earns it. Your 1st experince with this dealer should weed them out as a future dealer for you. Better sooner than later.

that still leaves a residue in the float bowl. this is just enough to leave that nice yellow sludge in your carbs. when i bought my sxr from the dealer in timmins they cleaned the carbs before they even strarted the sled. salesman told me that this is their standard procedure and he said the carbs where nasty before they where cleaned. shows a sign of a good dealer to bur a seld from.

On my 01' SRX before riding it I pulled the carbs to make notes on the jets installed and just check things out. The bottom covers on the carbs that you remove to access the main jets were barely finger tight. I'm sure glad I checked as I think these would have come out pretty quikly

Back