XLV TSS conversion started

SX700triple

2upperDeluxe
Sooo... I started the TSS conversion on my 87 XLV yesterday/tonight. Got the right side strut on and working on the left side now.. I made an incorrect measurement TWICE for the left side and I need to cut it back off and move it inboard another 3/8ths of an inch. Then It's on to the steering and patching the belly pan back together.. Should have finished pic's tomorrow. I didnt get any progress pic's because I need to get the sled ride able by the end of the day tomorrow. UPDATE TOMORROW!

As promised I have pictures of my XLV which has newly been dubbed the XRV. I still need to do something about the holes in the belly pan but that will be figured out soon.

So on with the show;

The day it came home (gotta love free sleds!)

DSC_0136-1.jpg

This is the side that I measured wrong. Sooo now it's double sleeved. I dont think three layers of steel will break haha!

DSC_0167.jpg

Nailed the location of the right side strut for the notch in the exhaust.

DSC_0166.jpg

Pretty clean for sitting 5 years with no attention

DSC_0168.jpg

Need a solution to this problem as well. As it sits the hole on the other side will let snow through to the clutches and thats no good!

DSC_0172.jpg

Well thats pretty much it as far as the conversion pic's go.. here are a few of the sled as it sits now.

DSC_0171.jpg

Need to find an sx/srx gas tank to do that conversion as well and then my seat would probably fit a little better haha! I would also eventually (next season) like to put a 136x1.25 track on it. Anyone know where I could get rail extensions?

DSC_0176.jpg

And last but not least, the odometer. 3,649 original miles. And I go and molest a fairly nice original machine to make somewhat of my dream sled.

DSC_0170.jpg

I always wanted an SRV and never had luck finding one in good shape.. So when my brother in law called me and asked if I wanted a couple 80's Yamaha snowmobiles, I got real excited in hopes that one was an SRV. He said he thought one was (totally wrong but close) but it turned out to be the XLV and the Inviter I'm parting out in the classified section (donor sled). Eventually I got the bright idea to put the Inviter front end in the XLV after finding out just how abused the Inviter was. So now I kind of have my SRV and that is where the XRV name came from.
I left the ski stance at just under 40 Inches for a reason. My plan is to make this sled somewhat of a cross country machine. 136" track, narrow ski stance and a big fan cooled motor. In my opinion this will be the perfect sled... for me! I really enjoy riding newer sleds but I hate the ridiculous amount of attention they seem to need. The "XRV" will be my own custom dream machine.

Last edited:
is it just me or are the pivots arms on the front suspension facing the wrong way.

Last edited:
They would seem to be? But if you look at the donor sled (inviter) thats how they are. I have never seen one these nor do i no anything about them so it must be right. The donor sled looks unmodified in pics. Is this how its supposed to be? CCC

Thanks for the compliments and questions guys! The scissors are indeed supposed to be on the back side. The Inviter and Ovation used an el cheapo version of the TSS suspension, and on the Inviter they for some reason turned the whole strut around and made it look "backwards". I will keep everyone updated on the progress until I get it finished.

Vmax540 - It wasnt hard to add at all. the hardest part is going to be getting the belly pan right. Which I think I have an idea on.

I do not think you will have to worry about snow getting in the clutches through the hole in the hood - unless you are running in three feet of powder. The plastic covers from an SRV hood may be able to be modified to fit.
The springs and shocks may be too light for the weight of the XLV. I don't know if Phazer or SRV shocks and springs will fit.

PZ 1 said:
I do not think you will have to worry about snow getting in the clutches through the hole in the hood - unless you are running in three feet of powder. The plastic covers from an SRV hood may be able to be modified to fit.
The springs and shocks may be too light for the weight of the XLV. I don't know if Phazer or SRV shocks and springs will fit.

The sled will be ridden in the UP exclusively and I ride fairly aggressive so it's possible haha! As far as the springs being too light for the machine, I'm going to try and put some washers inside the "shock" tubes to try and raise the spring rate. Should work if I can find the right size washers. I searched for SRV strut assemblies in my area and they dont seem to exist.

Update: Ordered my 121 to 136 rail extensions today and the 136x1.352 cobra track I bought from Mr. Sled is sitting in the garage waiting. Going to make my own tunnel extension I think. Planning on going up to the UP over christmas and installing everything. PICS SOON!

When I was growing up we took a 79 yamaha exciter and added the front tss off a phazer. Then used a older v-max rear suspension on the rear to match. for the holes in the side of the hood we had some old side boots that came on the earlier srx body sleds because the ski stance was wider. We riveted the boots to the hood and it kept snow out of the motor compartment. Its amazing what you can find and do with spare sled parts around. I rode the sled for a few years then it got tore down for parts and I never got any pictures of it.

VERY cool.. I wish you would have gotten pic's of that machine! Downloading pics of the new/new to me parts right now. Getting really excited to go up to the UP and slap the 136 on the XLV and take it for a rip. Should do pretty dang good in the UP then. All I have left to do is find some plastic ski's on the cheap and I'm done with this machine. Maybe some time in the future it will get ported and clutched/geared for a little more oomph.

the enticer II and vk540II/III also had a cover for the tss that was on the hood. might be easyer to find some of those.

Maim said:
the enticer II and vk540II/III also had a cover for the tss that was on the hood. might be easyer to find some of those.
checked both of those sleds out and man are the strut covers for the hood UGLY! Thanks for the suggestion though!

Also, photobucket is not working for me right now so the pics will have to wait until I can get them to upload. Is the site really lagging for anyone else?

Last edited:

Back