Calling All EGT Users!

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
I am considering installing an EGT unit on my SRX but don't want to spend the money to buy a digatron unit or anything like that. I am considering buying a single gauge unit that will either be digital so it will be easy to read or analog with the option of peak recall to see how hot the temps are getting.

My questions are:

Should I go with the peak recall gauge or the Digital read out? I guess it boils down to how difficult is it to read the gauges will riding.

Which pipe should I install the gauge on? I know this will depend on many factors such as jetting and individual engines but which cylinder tends to run the hottests for those of you who run all three egt's?

Let me know what you guys think.

-Matt

2ooosrx said:
I am considering installing an EGT unit on my SRX but don't want to spend the money to buy a digatron unit or anything like that. I am considering buying a single gauge unit that will either be digital so it will be easy to read or analog with the option of peak recall to see how hot the temps are getting.

My questions are:

Should I go with the peak recall gauge or the Digital read out? I guess it boils down to how difficult is it to read the gauges will riding.

Which pipe should I install the gauge on? I know this will depend on many factors such as jetting and individual engines but which cylinder tends to run the hottests for those of you who run all three egt's?

Let me know what you guys think.

-Matt

I had a Westeck analog on my 500 Indy years ago and it was useless at speed. IMO - the bigger digital (LCD/LED) readout you can get the better.

As for which pipe - IIRC the center reads a bit higher than the others on my stock piped '01 but I wouldn't install on the center just based on this. It may have more to do with the placement of the probe vs. a/f ratio for the selected cylinder.

Perhaps some of the dyno guys here could better direct you.

Thanks for the input, the only attractive feature I can find about the analog gauge is the peak temperature recall. Otherwise I feel like the digital would be a much better choice.

I actually just called the company and because I do not have a constant 12V source even when the key is off, I will have to reset the background color of the gauge everytime I start the sled. I will also not be able to check peak recall on that gauge in less I keep the sled running and check it then.

As for the Pipe choice, I understand that the distance away from the piston has a large influence on the temperature reading. Presuming that jetting is similar for all cylinders and that the EGT's would all be placed at the same distance, which one tends to run hot?

Thanks again for your input, it sounds like your center cylinder seems to be the hot one.

2ooosrx said:
Thanks for the input, the only attractive feature I can find about the analog gauge is the peak temperature recall. Otherwise I feel like the digital would be a much better choice.

I actually just called the company and because I do not have a constant 12V source even when the key is off, I will have to reset the background color of the gauge everytime I start the sled. I will also not be able to check peak recall on that gauge in less I keep the sled running and check it then.

As for the Pipe choice, I understand that the distance away from the piston has a large influence on the temperature reading. Presuming that jetting is similar for all cylinders and that the EGT's would all be placed at the same distance, which one tends to run hot?

Thanks again for your input, it sounds like your center cylinder seems to be the hot one.

My Digitron has recall and also uses a 9 volt battery for set point memory and max temp alarm.

Again, not sure if my center pipe reads a bit higher because of jetting or because of probe placement. They're all roughly the same distance from the piston but they aren't exact.

2ooosrx said:
Thank you very much for the information. Out of curiousity, how far away did you try to set your probes and what are the high temperatures you usually see?

I think it was recommended to place them 6-8" from the piston skirt (exhaust side) and I put them roughly 8" which puts them in the pipe. 6" would have put them at the down tube to pipe joint.

As for temps seen it depends on conditions and fuel quality. I run stock '01 jetting and have had it as high as 1360 on long pulls but wash and plugs still show safe/rich jetting. Obviously high enough to melt aluminum so IMO the probe placement I chose isn't representative of combustion temps but I reference it to the piston wash. I'm leaving a bit on the table with the fat '01 jetting and I'd expect even higher temps with leaner jetting but I've learned the hard way it's best to leave a little wiggle room... especially with today's questionable fuels.

snomofo said:
I had a Westeck analog on my 500 Indy years ago and it was useless at speed. IMO - the bigger digital (LCD/LED) readout you can get the better.

As for which pipe - IIRC the center reads a bit higher than the others on my stock piped '01 but I wouldn't install on the center just based on this. It may have more to do with the placement of the probe vs. a/f ratio for the selected cylinder.

Perhaps some of the dyno guys here could better direct you.
i have one on my sled . the trick is i put a paint mark on the hi point . if you cant see the needle ya better do something

i went down this road last year.... and got two of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIGI...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

made a little box and mount for them... they work awesome... they recal your max temp and hold your settings even after you turn the sled off (of course you have to start it again, and i think the temp is erased but at least it keeps your settings)

they work awesome and they are bright as hell, i have to turn them down at night

check out thier website http://www.auberins.com/

better yet the page for the box i bought... http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=139

your talking about $100 per cylinder and some work to build a box or cut holes in your dash

Last edited:
Those were the exact ones I was looking at yesterday. I am glad to hear you have had so much success with them. I think I would be able to mount this in my dash on the right or left side due to the compact size of the unit (2 x 1). Thanks for the referral!

tyler440 said:
i went down this road last year.... and got two of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIGITAL-EGT-THERMOMETER-PYROMETER-W-PROBE-NPT-Blue-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaf7a26ddQQitemZ200512513757QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

made a little box and mount for them... they work awesome... they recal your max temp and hold your settings even after you turn the sled off (of course you have to start it again, and i think the temp is erased but at least it keeps your settings)

they work awesome and they are bright as hell, i have to turn them down at night

better yet the page for the box i bought... http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=139

your talking about $100 per cylinder and some work to build a box or cut holes in your dash

tyler440 said:
i went down this road last year.... and got two of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIGI...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

These look awesome,Ive been looking for some egt guages for my triple sled and didnt want to buy the digatrons, Too expensive. Thes look like just the ticket. Did you have any problems with headlight dimming? Not that it really matters,do most of my riding in the day time. Oh yeah ya got any pics with them mounted?

Buy it from the website that tyler440 mentioned if you get it. I have looked everywhere and it is the cheapest you can find it. $104 for the blue gauge shipped with probe or $95 for the red gauge shipped with probe. I went with the blue.

Anybody else find pretty similar readings from cylinder to cylinder? I am strongly considering installing it 8" from piston skirt on the center cylinder.

Yeah i will definatly do that, As for where to mount it, there are many opinions on that,I have read and totally agree that you shouldnt go of the egt readings until you have a baseline useing plug color piston wash and such. When i do purchase the guages i am going to run my machine in cold weather and do plug checks and piston wash readings. If it is running good like my srx usually does in cold weathr iwill record the readingd and use them when the temps get warm and it runs like a dog and jet accordingly to get the correct egt temps. that is what i plan to do. Our sleds run great on cold days but not so well on warm days and that is why i want to get egt guages so i can tune for the temps.

no i didnt notice the head light dim, but honestly i have some sort of electrical issue going on with them... dont remember the circumstances exactly but from what i rememeber ther are 12v DC and my 1984 vmax540 is AC power i had to install a $5 rectifier from radio shack...

now on a 80's vmax the head light is pop-up style....
with my headlight up and one the EGT's run fine...
with my headlight down and off the EGT's are on untill i rev my sled and they go out... then they come back on when it idles down.... im not sure if i have a voltage regulator going bad or what... i ended up getting a vmax4 last year and spend the second 1/2 of the season putting miles on it so i never looked any further with the 540

ill try to get up there today and take some pictures of my set up

Back