How to avoid getting scammed??

rx1jim

What are the steps you can take to avoid getting scammed by people selling parts? Does PayPal offer any scam protection? With all the recent problems with a certain member on this site, who I almost sent a $300 money order for a set of non-existent Ohlin shocks, I want to be more careful before buying anything on-line. Thanks!!

referrals for sure.You can also check their reputation,but that may not tell the whole truth.Always use paypal,not a money order.Then it can be tracked and keep all PM's that was between you and the seller or e-mails so it states what they actually told you.I have bought stuff of guys here..one item was ohlin's shocks..but used paypal.Was a little hesitant but decided to take that chance.If one gets ripped once big time,they will be cautious as hell after for sure..I would be.

Most credit cards have built in protection for fraud or scams. My Mastercard refunded my funds after a seller did not ship an item. I took some paperwork and time but I got my funds back. If the scammer is using credit card accounts to receive funds your credit card company goes after their account to get your funds back.

the particular seller with those oilins shocks had over 100 posts and was a TY advertiser.... of course he was bipolar.... paypal only from now on

Last edited:
protection

Paypal is very good for the buyer, all most too good, what i mean by too good is that you can get a refund for all most any reason. I had a guy one time say he didn't know what the charge was for and paypal took the money out of my account, it took two weeks to get that deal straightened out.

anyone buying or selling parts, or anything, should by now have a paypal acct. Money orders are a PITA. With paypal things are so much faster & parts can be sent right away, especiall helpful in mid season breakdowns. If the seller has an ebay acct., which many of us do, you could also look at thier feedback rating there.

Most of us (well ALOT of us) here are pretty mechanically inclined and pretty well versed on the quality of parts.
Some people who part their sleds are the ones who cant get their asking price for whatever reason then get a hairbrained idea and decide to part it out and state that the parts are in great shape and you find out after you buy/purchase the part and it is shipped to you that the part is actually junk(then the excuses start - Camera is broke, battery in cam is/was dead, blah blah blah) because that individual is NOT the type of that takes care of their equipment (like most of the gearheads here)... I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories of some guys telling their tales of "Hey dude I jumped this and rode over that, again blah blah blah.

I also have had a couple of GREAT experiences here on the site buying parts from fellow sled heads and hope to continue to have GREAT dealings. I understand that times are getting rough out there and I think that some of these people that are ripping people off are thinking "Hey all they know is the buyer is buying parts from some no name faceless person on the internet and they'll never be able to find or get to me", what they dont realize is there are some VERY intelligent people on here(plus no-one knows anyones background-if you know what I mean) that know the ways to find and track people down, HEY ARE WE A BAND OF BROTHERS OR WHAT!!!! :WayCool: Some of my $.02 worth. T

i always look at post count and always trust your gut feelings. if it sounds to good to be true it prob is!!

Thanks guys, I am going to set up a paypal account and use it for purchasing parts for this site. Sounds like the best solution to ensure some protection. Scammers suck and have no place on this site full of wonderful, helpful people.

The first thing I ever bought from a TY member was from a guy who only had 10 posts.....suprisingly it went great, and he shipped it super fast!

If every member was like him, it would be great.

I love TY. It's like an addiction now.

Shafner79 said:
The first thing I ever bought from a TY member was from a guy who only had 10 posts.....suprisingly it went great, and he shipped it super fast!

If every member was like him, it would be great.

I love TY. It's like an addiction now.

Right and for the most part, everything will go well... but there are always a few bad apples that will ruin it for everyone.

madzx2 said:
i always look at post count and always trust your gut feelings. if it sounds to good to be true it prob is!!

X2 !

Always get Complete first & last name, mailing address and phone number of which a land line is best. One can tell alot by talking in person Before the sell ! Keep all records !

Back