Throttle cable mount question

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Ok so here's the deal the bracket on my carb rack that the throttle cable screws to is for all intense and purposes wore out as far as I can see.I noticed last year that the lock nut on the cable would not stay tight and with a bit of deducing I found that the hole for the cable was spread a bit so I squeezed it back together but it didn't stay.Now the cable is wobbling in the hole and I guess my only option is to change this bracket which is becoming harder than I would have anticipated as I can't find the bracket itself listed in any parts breakdown.So what are my options here fellows?I guess I could take the bracket off and have a machine shop cut the worn tab off and weld a new piece of metal back on,drill tap and cut it like the original for the cable.

Anyone got one of these brackets lying around?

sasksrx said:
You could put two nuts on it, one on top and one on the bottom and lock it into place if you need to.

Or weld a single nut in place of the threaded portion of the bracket (cut/grind it off) and hacksaw a slot in the nut for the cable? Might hold up better to spreading than the stamped steel bracket did.

sasksrx said:
You could put two nuts on it, one on top and one on the bottom and lock it into place if you need to.
I thought about this option but I can't see how to get the nut on over the end of the cable lug,unless I cut a slot to fit the cable through it and hope that the nut retains its strength enough to hold the cable tight.

Have the nut tacked in place then cut it, it should not spread at that point. The only thing is making sure the threads are clean after cutting with a cutoff wheel or you run the risk that threads may gall or bind. Jewlers files or needle files should work and if you dont have any sometimes they are a pain to find.

Back