Coating on the OEM nuts and bolts

rx1jim

I posted this question in the vintage area and I thought I would post it here as well to get better coverage

I am restoring an older SRX sled and being really picky about every detail. Most of the fasteners are a bit corroded with a white powdery substance. I don't want to buy new fasteners for the entire sled and would like to replate or recoat the original fasteners. The new OEM fasteners I bought are an olive green/brown color. Does anyone know what this coating is and if it can be reapplied after stripping the original coating and corrosion off the fasteners? The fasteners clean up really nice by glass beading them. If I cannot get the OEM coating reapplied, I will have them nickle, cadmium or zince plated. Thanks!!

I don't know what the coating is, but Yamaha hit the nail on the head when they used that type of coating, it lasts for a long time in harsh conditions. I have parted out a couple cats & doo's & the bolts they use are always rusty. I would be interested to know what the coating is also.

Try asking on a vintage motorcycle forum or a Yamaha MC forum. They were likely the same plating as on sleds in those years. The bike guys do concourse quality restorations (as you are wanting to do) and may know exactly what was used.

I do not think the original fasteners were that dark color, so replacing with new or replated fasteners of that color will not give a correct restoration. If you do find out what is used, it may be difficult to find a place to do the plating. The "recipe" used for the plating material may only be done that way in Japan. And a large fastener company that does it may only do their own work and will not be interested in doing a handful of bolts for an outsider. Whatever the original plating was, it may not be done by anyone anymore.

The originals may have been cadmium plated which gives a yellowish/gold color, but my best memory and the appearance you are describing now, is that they were silver in color and with the time and cost of replating, replacing with that color aftermarket fasteners may be the best thing to do. Keep trying to do it right though, it is good to see somebody doing a top quality restoration.

Last edited:
I believe the Eastwood Company has kits to restore various finishes on nuts and bolts.I've been very impressed with the quality of there products over the years!

Back