What To Do?

totallyphazer

good day everyone. Its a pleasure to be new on this forum. I dont wanna be the new guy for to long, i was hoping someone can help me out with my ideas for my machine, so i can get it over and done with and start helping other people out with their problems. Hopefully after this thread ill know everything i neeed to know about my machine.
I own a 1999 phazer 500 with 20 000 original kilometers on it except for a few minor details. Im open to anyones ideas on it to make it a faster sled and better in the powder with the lease amount of money spend.
Mods to date: Boyeson reeds and air box mods. And Sxviper front shocks
I never re-jetted or anything when i did this
My ideas:
Making a drop bracket to make the rear end sit higher? (about an 1")
or replacing the skid with something else
Also Lifting the front for more ground clearance
Clutching it or gearing it down? (which ever is better?)
Exhaust mods?
4" Handle bar riser
Basicly anything will do ;)!
Id like to thank everybody ahead for their time and ideas, any help is greatly appreciated.

well first, let us know about your riding areas. where do you like to ride? are you a trail rider, mountain climber, or just love playing in the woods? if also, what is your budget? replacing the skid with a newer one is always an amazing difference for weight saving, transferbility, and just about everything else. Handlebar riseres are awsome if you stand up a lot like i do. also a good idea is to get rid of those crappy front skis and pick up a nice newer set. once we know more about your riding skills and areas of enjoyment, we can help you out better. if you can't get your questions answered here, it'll be hard to get them answered anywhere else. enjoy the site.

i live in the bush just outside on Sudbury, Ontario. My riding is mostly done in the back countrys,,open fields, open water. 20% of my riding is done on the trail. I have been riding for 15 years now.I dont wanna spend more then $500
How much top end will i loose if i gear it down a tooth? will it lift the skies up? :P

throw a used set of moutain plastic skis on the front. lightens it up and makes it handle better. usually a few sets of take offs floating around and if you cannot find some here, i have a set of take off stock viper ones i would be willing to part with.

check that the jetting is correct.

clutch it or repair/replace the worn parts in the clutch as it probably needs to be done anyways. new primary spring would not hurt either.

set up the rear skid as per instructions on here for ski lift.

i always had no problem with the stock yoko with my sx500r off trail. could always up-grade to a 136" track with extensions but that would take more than your current buget unless you found a screaming deal on used parts.

from your milage it probably needs a leakdown test done on it as the rings are getting bad and causing blowby. this will also cause it to be down on power.

2" riser bolts right in with out playing with cable extensions or new cables. 2" makes a huge difference over stock.

you need a hand with any of this let me know as i think we might be pretty close :wel:

thanks maim those are some very useful ideas.Im going to take my clutches to someone who knows what their doing with them because i dont even know if my jetting is correct lol.How do i know i got the proper jetting? I did a compression test over the weekend and both piston are putting out 120 psi
Has anyone ever made homemade handle bar risers?
How much do u want the skis maim?
thanks for all the helpp ;)!

Last edited:
can you post a pic of the sparkplug electrode? lots of guys on here can tell just from a picture of one for jetting.

how do the piston skirts look with the exhaust off? rings can still have good compression but are letting blowby past them, meaning it is time to replace the rings. if they go too long you are looking at new pistons and a bore job to bring back into spec.

have to look for the skis atm but i will let them go cheap as i got them from a guy in the pay it forward thread. i paid $10.00 for shipping so that is what i will take for them.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/ma...iew=book&id=14&Itemid=458&firstPageNumber=219 it is only like $27.00 for a 2" aluminum block from powermadd whitch is all my brother has on his 02 viper. do not even need the pivot adapter as it made his much more comfortable to ride.

These things are way overgeared stock, especially in powder. Drop to 8 tooth drivers (11% gear reduction) throw a 1.25 track under it. The ripsaw actually works very well under this sled. You won't believe it is the same sled. Better take off, better mileage, better top speed in all but optimum conditions.

Then make sure clutching is good and engine is running strong. Be a really good time to check the engine out internally. I wouldn't mod the engine unless you completely rebuild it with that many kilometers.

They don't have a lot of power (Around 60 HP), but they can move very nicely in the soft stuff.

You can find some 8-tooth drivers off a MMax for about $50 - Some on here for sale right now I believe. Press the old ones off and the new ones on - be sure to get that right. Anybody handy with a hydraulic press can do it for you.

Find a used ripsaw $200

$250 and you have some cash to spend on refreshing the clutches and engine.

Last edited:

Back