Carb cleaning question and tip

jay87lx

I jumped into cleaning my carbs today after reading and re reading the tech section and what MrViper posted in there. All came out good I think but I have a few questions.
My 1st question.
When I took the float bol cover off there is the round plastic thing. I forgot to take not as to which way it goes back onto the shaft. I think it goes on like this...
carb068.jpg

But am unsure and think it may go on like this so the plastic "cup" holds gas as to not starve the carb
carb067.jpg

Ok, now once the plastic cup is slid onto the main jet shaft does it slide all the way up the shaft beyond the pilot jet shaft? it seems like it would be difficult to push it up that far or does it just stay on the bottom of the main jet shaft?
So like this, just on the end?
carb069.jpg

or all the way up like this?
carb070.jpg

Ok, now I will pay forward from all the knowledge I learned here. Between myself and the previous owner cleaning the carbs the phillips screws to take the float bowl of started to strip, so before they got to a point where i couldn't get them out I went to the dealer to buy new ones. The guy said they were $2.00 each. Ok $24.00 isn't that bad in reference to the aggravation if one totally stripped out and caused damage to the carb like if it had to be drilled out. The guy then turn me on to these screws with allen heads and at .25 each a better deal and better product.
Phillips on the left, new on the right
srxcarb002.jpg

srxcarb003.jpg

Last edited:

Not sure on which way the "cup" goes without looking at one. Hard to tell from pics but yes it is it is to keep from starving the carb. But the "cup" should seat in the grove on the main jet housing nearest the jet. The allen head screws are the only way to go, changed mine out last year for the same. CCC

A couple of bucks said:
You wouldn't remember the size and length of those screws would ya ? Am about to undertake my first cleaning and would like to have them on hand. How many are there ?

4MM x 12MM. Got them at home depot. They didnt have enough for my second carb so i bought 10MM length ones and they were fine. I would go with the 12MM if they have have them. CCC

super1c said:
4MM x 12MM. Got them at home depot. They didnt have enough for my second carb so i bought 10MM length ones and they were fine. I would go with the 12MM if they have have them. CCC

i assume these should be stainless? or just get whatever cheap ones they have? 4 per carb, total of 12pcs?

I looked more closely at the pics MrViper shows and can see the right way now- I need better glasses I guess- LOL- Thanks

First pic is correct. Yes there is a small groove which the plastic peice clips on to. It's not on the jet but on the ring #27. uploadfromtaptalk1449623735638.jpg

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Back