Considering a used Yamaha, got questions and need a favor

ODogfromMA

A long time SkiDoo rider, I've finally got sick and tired of replacing them every couple of years due to some problem or another. I've decided on switching to Yamaha for the 4-stroke reliability, but honestly don't know what to look for -or look out for- in a used Yamaha sled.

I'm hoping someone very knowledgeable on the various models would be willing to answer a few questions as to what to look for on a particular model, what model/year to avoid and provide their honest opinion what may be a good deal. Of course, I'm looking on the TY classified, as well as other Craigslist, so PM would be my preferred method of communication.

I promise not to bug the sh&^ out of you, just maybe a handful of questions.

Thanks.
Owen

if it is a 4 stroke your looking for,go to the 4-stroke forums and ask.This side is basically a 2-stroke forum. But I guess it depends on what kind of riding you will be doing.Trails,long haul or ditchbanging...GOOD LUCK....and you will have better luck on a Yamaha.... ;)!

If youre looking for advice on 4 stroke sleds it would be worth your while to register and ask your questions on the 4 stroke forum. This is the 2 stroke side (SRX Viper).

If your looking for an Apex Mtn, buy an 07 or newer. Why? The 2 difference I've heard of are the 07 comes with the solid mtn bar and I've heard there is something different in the electronics. If you can afford it go right to an 08 so you don't have to deal with that crappy plastic rear rack.

The Apex is EFI, RX-1 is not, the new Nytro with the newer chassis is EFI, Vector is not. There really isn't much to look for on these. Motor's are solid, no worries there, check the oil level, check over the rear suspension and that's all I can really think of.

It's all what your looking for. The 4-stroke Phazer is 2 cylinder ~80hp, the 3 cylinder is ~120hp (like a 700), and the 4 cylinder ~150hp (like an 800).

Back