02 viper heat exchanger question

kinger

VIP Member
A little confused on where the heat exchanger is on this sled. Some say they are in the front, and the rear is optional but stock on the mountain..etc etc...

I got my 02 viper all cleaned up this weekend, I just bought it and it was lightly modded when I got it. Anyhoo I see what looks to be a heat exhanger underneath each running board and up near the front of the track. The running board ones deadhead at the back of the sled and don't loop through, so does that just have warm coolant in there to keep the boards de-iced? Is it possible a rear one was already added or is there a rear one that mounts way in the back? For some reason I have it in my head front heat exchanger is in the front of the sled and rear is the one by the start of the track. Thanks!

you have a front exchanger, 2 side exchangers below the running boards and optional rear exchanger that would mount into the rear of the sled in the back of the tunnel. If you look under the tail flap and dont see any cooling fins in the rear of the tunnel then you dont have one.

I just went to www.parts.yamaha-motor.com and cheked the ilustrated parts breakdonw for my 2003 Mtn Viper and it's easy to tell if you have a heat exchanger or not.

If your coolant bleeder screw is in the middle of the tunnel (at the rear) you don't have one, if the bleeder is on the Mag side at the rear of the tunnel you have a rear heat exchanger.

yamaha didn't put a rear heat exchanger on at the factory until 04. 02 & 03 , yhe heat exchangers were dealer installed.

and the coolant DOES loop through from the side heat exchangers through the crossover tube in the back corner of the tunnel, it circulates through even without the heat exchanger

Hello! Anybody home

The running board heat exchangers "deadhead" and dont flow through. How does that cooling system work for you? I'm guessing not really very good. You better look closer. :o|

Madmatt said:
The running board heat exchangers "deadhead" and dont flow through. How does that cooling system work for you? I'm guessing not really very good. You better look closer. :o|

Yeah yeah yeah, I just saw welded end caps and didn't stick my hand up to feel the outlet on top of the rad.

Automed, thanks!

Back