I Appreciate This Site

SX600abuser

I still consider myself a new user to this site as I am only almost a 1 year member. I joined this site after looking through the tech section and literally drooled at some of the ideas members have come up with and shared on how to make horse power, improve riding, and even setup tricks. I try to check this site every day, to put my input in when I have experience with the questions being asked, in my opinion, because man o man, with all the great tips and general help I have recieved, it is the least I can do.

The real reason I am taking time out of my day to mention my appreciation is because I was just recently reminded how well this site helps eachother out. I was working on a friends sled, doing a fall inspection and tune for him really quick and this would be the first time he has ever had it done by anyone other then a "yamaha tech" buddy of his. Well the funny thing is, is that the "yamaha tech", who has no more credentials than you or I, as he too learned from experience tinkering with yamahas, told him not to ever worry about checking carb sync because the factory setting is fine. Well I like to make sure everything I am doing is done right, and to do a quick check only takes 2 minutes so I did, only to find out that one carb was not synced at all. Upon further inspection I found the adjustment screw missing from that carburetor, not just fallin out, actually had to have been taken out of his sled. Hmmmm...

I also noticed upon inspection of the primary clutch for sheave cracks that, 1, the set screws holding the pin in place that the weights ride on were too long on one of the weights and hit up against the spider, 2, the belt sits about 3/8-1/2 down in the secondary sheave at idle and, 3, that would probably have to do with the 1/4-3/8 gap between the engine and its torque limiter. Yes the clutch had been "rebuilt" by the same tech, and yes the engine had been taken out and put back in by the same tech.

I was upset with how badly of a job they did that I spoke with the person that worked on his sled and he was pissed at me for telling him what he did wrong, and reminded me that he was a "yamaha tech" and all I do is read forums...bahahaha! I believe that means I have taken more time to observe the right and wrong ways to do something!! I know I don't do everything right, but if it isn't my sled, I am not going to do it unless I know exactly what I am doing.

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that if it had not been for this site and all the very intelligent people here, I might have relyed on this same "tech" to tell me right from wrong. This guy is an idiot and I am only able to know that from being able to properly maintain and modify my sled because of the information on this site. Thank you guys!!

well said! I too appreciate the hospitality and quick responses to most every question that i have asked over the years. I've been a member for a few years and now i'm the one giving the answers and not the questions. i've had my share of questions over the years and now it makes me feel good to give my knowledge to the new members and try and solve the problems that we have with our sleds. Most shop yamaha techs don't ride these sleds and some problems are just not found in a shop manual. This year i became a vip member and a lot of you younger members should consider it too. It would be a shame if this site would flounder due to lack of support. My only regrets are not being a vip earlier! Keep up the good work guys....You know who you are..

Back