Another 2000 SRX problem..

RunninSRX

Website
www.diablosport.com
SRXSpec and I talked about this one today... both scratching our heads on it.
The sled is 2000 SRX with a Viper skid with original viper shocks/springs (not revalved).
Maxximum SRX transfer rods in front hole. No spacer on top, thin spacer on bottom. Sled sitting by itself.. 1/8" gap on bottom, roughly 2" gap on top.
Me on it, .5" gap on bottom, about 1.5" gap on top.
Rear spring shows 1" of threads and FRA is in soft position (I weigh about as much as a box of Kleenex).
Front spring has no preload when I lift the sled up.
Limiter straps show 1" of threads past the nut.
Track sits damn near flat on the ground by itself.
Now this setup sounds like it would be a wheelie monster, but it don't transfer period. On a hard packed road or lake.. it MIGHT lift the skis 2-3" if it lifts them at all. Grass.. same thing.
Not that I really want the thing 3' in the air, but if it did that..THEN I have somethign to work with.
Kinda makes ya go hmmmmm

how bout the track and studs....I dont care if you have all transfer it will lite the track if it cant hold on. Why are you in the front hole on the rails??

Good question..forgot to mention that.
track is 1" 9830 with 192 studs.
The SRX rods are shorter than the Viper rods so needed to move them.
I had the stock Viper rods on there for awhile.. but actually I can't remeber why I took them off. Hmm... I think.. damn.. I really don't remember.
Suppose I could put them back on to see why I took them off.

let me ask you this....if the track is extremely flat....and the center is stiff...and you jump on the back bar..will the skis lift off the ground?? If you run the viper rods, use the rear hole....

My thinking here is that if you have an extremly soft center spring setting it does not have nothing to pivot on......with longer straps and stiffer center and soft rear it has to transfer with that much traction.

Well.. I could try to jump on the thing.. but it has another problem right now. no spark and it won't start. I have enough snow here to run it.. if I can get it running.
So what your saying it to maybe up the preload on the front(center) spring?
As far as it's setup right now.. you'd think it would want to flip over.
Front only comes up about as far as I would ever want to lift the skirt of Rosanne Barr.. which ain't much.
Damn.. now I got this mental picture of what that would actually look like :(

with a soft center I dont think it would transfer that hard unless it was in grass...even then , that center spring harder would help it....do you have a bad stator??

One of the reasons I softened up the spring is I was getting beat up like Rodney King on the thing. It now rides pretty damn good.. or it did last time I rode it over bumps.
Basically just followed alot of suggestions on here about how to get rid of a overly stiff ride. One was to set the center spring to no preload.
I ran it on grass about a month ago until my wife chewed my butt for tearing the yard up. It didn't hook then either.

As for the stator.. man I hope not. I ran it 2 weeks ago around the house.. seemed to run OK but I wasn't on it very hard or anything. Hmm.. thinking back, when I got ready to park it, it didn't sound like it was running on all 3. Shut it off. A week ago I tried to start it. it popped and sputtered a few times like it wanted to start but never started after 25 pulls and my arm got tired (normally takes a good 20 to start it if it has been sitting.. 5-8 if engine is hot).
Today it's 15 deg out so I tried to start it again.. nothing.
Gonna try the easy things 1st. I have a spare CDI box I took apart to reverse engineer.. I can pop that in there.

not saying that you need a ton of preload...as far as the spark...u sure the key is on and the kill switch is up...and you put all new plugs in and you dont see any spark on the plugs???

Yep.. key is on, switch is up, no spark on any cylinder.
Even grabbed the thing with my hand to see if it would shock me.. nothing.
Just swapped CDI's.. still no spark.

about the transfer, you need to increase the center spring preload. To get an srx to hook up, the rear of the skid needs to be about a half inch to an inch off the ground with no weight on it, and then it will be flat once you sit on it. Also make sure the limiters are loose enough to let the front of the rear suspension extend once it starts to pull up. That should definately get you going in the right direction: up

i have a 2000 srx takes maby 5 or 6 pulls cold and 1 pull hot. You might want to look into why yours is so hard to start.

sorry i cany offer any suggestions. it just dont sound good tho

Wanna trade??
Just kidding.
I get alot of "Hey dude.. ya got a string hangin out of your shirt sleeve.. oops.. sorry that's your arm" so pulling on this SRX 20-40 times really sux.

as for your spark problem check the throttle safety switch some times they give that sort of problem also set up your choke as that sled cold should only take three pulls to start.carbs may need cleaning.ps you can jump out the one at the carbs by connecting the two wire only do this to check for spark not recommended runnning that ways safety issues you know.if the cdi was bad you would not have gooten any burps out of it they are either dead or good.

The hard starting or 5-8 pulls hot is wrong.....what RPM does it idle at when warmed up?

I know when my idle is low it starts hard....someone on here should be able to say why this affects the starting, I can't remember the reason right now. :rolleyes:

Turn your idle up to 1800-2000 and see what happens. :rockon:

Do stators get weak or do they just die?
I was under the impression that the 2000 SRX had a pretty healthy spark system.
I was watching the actual spark and it sure looked weak. Nothing like what we see on our race cars.

Oh.. the idle is 1600-1800 warm.
It's got another problem now that I have it running again.
Idles fine.. cruises fine (most of the time.. will sometimes PFFFT out the pipes like fuel got in there and got ignited in the pipe instead of the head) but go to WOT and 50% of the time it wil just go buuuuuuuuuuuu and not rev. Let off to half throttle.. starts to go. If it does rev at WOT.. pulls hard like usual. Seems to want to foul the plugs out real fast too.

did you clean the carbs?? Set the fuel screws, check the float levels....it sounds like the pilots maybe plugged...falls on its face on low to mid speed...

Back