Another 2000 SRX problem..

PV's are clean.
Today I went out and started it..was about 30 deg out..
choke on full, pulled and pulled on it.. the 15th pull it made it's fisrt fire.. 16th ALMOST ran, 17th.. started running.
Has new plugs in it. Left it sitting there for about 30 seconds then idle (was 1800'ish RPM) started to drop to about 1100.. moved choke to half way. Idle came up a bit to about 1600. Ran for about another 30 seconds, engine got rough and idle dropped down to <1000. Center plug got fouled.
Carbs? Cold start procedure? Weak spark? Moon and planets not aligned properly?

If I move the choke to off.. it will want to die.
Fresh gas.. yes.. well.. it's a couple days old now.
Clean carbs.. not yet.
Only have about 150 miles (1 trip) since they were done last time.. but I guess could be dirty.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? If it was last season, even with 1 trip, they need to be cleaned. Definetly if the gas was not stabilized at the end of the season.

Ok.. good.
Gives me a chance to get out my tools and rip somethign apart.

MrSled.. I see you have 05 RX1.. how do you like it?
I have been eyeballin a 05 RX1 ER in candy red. Kinda expensive though.
Best deal I can find on it is $8600(+ tax) and I'm not sure if they are keeping the $400 in accessories and dropping the price or I still get that (which I don't need).
Soon as I break it in (providing I get one).. it's getting a turbo.

So far the 05 is really awesome...I will be really riding it hard this weekend but so far on the lakes it way better then my 03 was. The Candy Red is...awesome...that much I can tell you for sure :). No turbo for me ....I drove one with a turbo and its quite a rush and its just something that will get me into trouble that much faster....For $4500, I would rather take that and put a supercharger on my truck ;)!

I already got a turbo on my truck and supercharger on my car (I tune supercharged thigns for a living) so everythign I own has gotta have it :)
I thought about a blower or turbo for the SRX.. seems like quite a bit of work.
I work as a crew memeber on a mid 6 second Mustang (back to back championships) so speed is in my blood. And after seeing some of the turbo RX1's out on the lake.. man.. that's me!!
Got the carbs off the SRX.. they look good so far.

Turboooooooo RX-1 allll the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Tom's just a sissy and can't handle the turbo...LOL.....

Mike, you should set the floats to spec while you have the carbs off....I'll see if I can find the spec....gonna be away from the computer until later though.

Allen

Carbs checked out perfect.
MrViper700 called me last night and we were going over what could be the issue.
Told him the spark is very weak.. it takes 2 people looking at it to see the spark it's that dim.
He asked me to look into the hole on the top of the the mag case and see if I see any rust on the thing.. yep.. I see some. Taking that apart right now to clean the rust off so the magnets have a good path to the coil.
Hopefully that's it as it looks to be a PITA to pull all that apart to swap the stator.
Dunno how that got rusty as the thing sat inside all summer.
Back to the original hooking problem, he also mentioned soemthign else.
Sled is long traveled in the back, but not the front.
I have Ohlins on it with the adjustable shock brackets but due to how the Ohlins are, you can really only put it into the center hole without the shock binding. Going to flip the brackets around and see what that does. Front of the sled sits very low as compared to the back. Now I remeber why I didn't use the Viper transfer rods as the track was over 3" off the ground in the back and I couldn't adjust it where the track would sit 'normal' and have a halfway decent ride quality.

suspension issues

Runninsrx,

Interesting to hear about your suspension issues. I have an o2 srx and its in the garage right now with the rear suspension in the air. I installed viper rear shocks and the maximum "viper" transfer rods which I installed in the rear mounting holes. I am prayign when I bolt in the suspension back into the rear tunnel that it does not sit 3" off the ground simialr to your issue. Did you use the Maximum viper rods? and did you use the rear mounting holes? I have ohlins upfront with the extensions and was plannign oin buying the Hauck front ski moutns or swapping the stock front mounts.

I hope I make out okay.

Mark

I had used the stock viper rods. I also don't have the ohlins extentions.
I'm thinking you should be just fine.

Just got back from some Yamaha dealers (went to a few).. my bungholio is still puckered up due to the price of a new 05 RX-1-ER.. but guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Buttload of Polaris Fusion sleds in all these places.. they can't sell'em ;)

Back