SRX 600 fouling plugs

moab11

VIP Member
My buddy just bought a 98 SRX600 last year with 3000km on it. It ran great all last winter. This fall he bought some NGK BR9ECS plugs to put in. He then took it out for a quick ride in the field before putting it away.

Today he went to take it out and it was only rinning on one cylinder. We found out that the middle and exhause side plugs were fouled. So he put in new plugs again, took it for a spin, and let it idle for a few min. then shut it off while we moved some other sleds around. When we went to fire it up to put it away, it was again running on 1 cylinder. The good one was again the PTO side, the other 2 weren't working.

So a 3rd set of plugs later we fired up the sled, and loaded it up on his truck to bring to the dealer. BTW it ran great with the new plugs.

He did have old fuel in it from last winter, without ading any fuel stabilizer, and it was reg(87 octane) gas. He also hasn't had it in for a tune-up since he bought it.

Just wondering if you guys have an idea what could be wrong. We are thinking the power valves, are eiter dirty, or need to be adjusted. Or it could be dirty carbs.

Jeff

I would make sure to warm the sled up fully before even touching the throttle lever. Mine will foul plugs all day if i dont warm it up all the way before driving it.

Cleaning the carbs and especially getting rid of the old gas wouldnt hurt either.

not only would I clean the carbs but drain the gas and put in fresh, your playing with vodoo if you take a sled out and run it on last years 87 octane gas that after sitting is 80 octane at best, this is how most burn downs occur, old gas and running the sled at the beginning of the year on last years gas.

first ride last year (99 srx) I fouled 9 plugs getting it to the gas station - (mine and all my buddies) - had water in the gas of course - never fouled a plug all year after that except when the wife would gas it 5 seconds after starting - why does everybody do that.

Great advice.
Clean carbs, drain old gas, install new plugs and the most important is let that sled warm up before you touch the trottle.
If i dont let my sled warm up she will foul a plug or run crappy for the first 5 to 10 minutes of the ride.

Siphon it out with plain hose or one of those fancy siphon hoses. I usually just put it into a gas can then run it in my truck or lawnmower/snowblower or wherever it will fit at the time.

yea definately get that old gas out of there and run it in a car or something that has knock sensors and can compensate for that garbage, as long as there isn't water in it

Thanks for the tips guys. He decided to bring it into the shop for a tune-up, anyway. But I will be sure to tell him to drain the old gas, and fill it with 91 to neutralize any of the bad gas left.

Jeff

Back