My home town,all that rain we got on Monday and Tuesday

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/16/nb-flood-emo-654.html

Click the video link to see just a very scrap of the damage around here,the news coverage doesn't even begin to show the devastation.

The deluge of rain that this area got the first of the week absolutely caught everyone here flat footed.People that have lived here their whole lives,I'm talking older folks 60-70 yrs old,have never seen this kind of flooding.There are pictures in the local museum of a massive flood that happened in the spring back in the early 20's but from all accounts this one tops it.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/15/nb-fredericton-flooding-536.html

There is a small community just outside of my town which has been accessible only by boat for the past 2 days as every road that goes through it has been under about 6 feet of water in some sections that happen to be close to a river or brook unable to cope with all the rain runoff.

sorry to see all this happening to you guys,its all over the news.Guess instead of sledding this season,you'll be skipping water. Wait till all that crap freezes now,where are all the people supposed to go for the next year while they have to tear apart and rebuild.Hope the Government helps out properly,but that is something you'll have to see to believe I guess.Government screwed us here South of the City during our big Flood in 97,some people are still trying to sue them..my mom included is part of a class action suet.I don't trust Gov. anymore.I had to pay a $10,000 deductible for floodproofing here.They caused an artificial Flood by raising the Flood Gates to quick on us,and we still had to pay.... :o|

Good Luck to you all,tough since xmas is around the corner yet...

i have buddies in nova scotia that i snowmobile with every year, been a lot of rain over that way also.i'm with ya for the snow and cold weather. Our weather over here sucks this year, no snow at all . looks like a repeat of last year.

There has been a bunch of government promises about help both provincially and federally but I'll believe when I see it.Where I live in St George is for the most part unscathed,I had close to a foot of water in my basement at one time but thanks to the drainage it went out relatively quickly,the only areas that got the bad flooding were low lying where the river is closer.As far as major flood damage right here in town it is nowhere near as bad as the out lying areas where people have had as much as 4-6 feet of water in their homes so right off the bat they are looking at a total gut of the basement and upper floor.I have many friends in the community that has been cut off by road and I can only imagine what they are having to deal with,no landline phone service yet and because of the topography of that area cell signal is spotty at best.

I just cant comprehend it myself having to rebuild this time of year and to top it off the temps are supposed to drop tonight about 10*C below freezing which could potentially crack some basements.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the shot in the news video of the water roaring over the dam here in town but most generally this time of year it is such a picturesque spot with the "gentle " flow of water and the ice hanging off the surrounding trees.It's almost hard to conceive the amount of water going over there now.On the bright side,if there is one right now,the river causing all this mayhem was reported to have crested yesterday afternoon so with any luck at all the roads will at least be opened back up perhaps even as early as tomorrow if not surely Saturday.

Fredericton didnt get hit quite as bad but alot of mess in the surrounding areas...hope ya get everything cleaned up fourbarrel, flooding takes no prisioneers just distroys everything...ive got a few boys i work with working on your new government garage and they were held up a few days...hope everything gets back to normal for all of you up there.

Back