89 Ovation carb and Oil pump question!

Gerv01

So I finally got my sled running and have been having a problem with my idle. It’s been really high. Cleaned the carb and everything is good! Every time I go to adjust it lower it just stalls out. Noticed the two electric wires from the carb and just didn’t connect them, and completed the circuit with the others by connecting them to each other. Started up and idled nice and low! What were the wires for and is it alright to run sled like this?

Also when I replaced my oil line as well as oil filter there wasn’t any oil coming after the filter. As soon as I disconnect the hose oil started flowing. Do I have my hoses connected improperly? Where should the hose with the filter be attached? Closest to drive belt or further?

And before everyone freaks out thinking I’ve been running it with no oil I put oil in the gas!

The wires to/from the carb are for the T.O.R.S. system. It's some kind of safety feature from my knowledge, maybe kind of like a throttle position sensor (help me out here guys!). You can indeed run the machine as you have it, without hurting it, with the wires connected to each other but some people are going to tell you to fix the problem the right way OR ELSE!! But in all reality I believe you need to readjust the carb to make things right.

i have cleaned the carb twice! put all screws back to factory setting, with the wires connected could only idle realy high anytime i went to go lower it it would stall! now with the wires unplugged idles nice and low

how else would i readjust the carb so that i may plug the wires back in?

Any input on the oil hoses?

i believe the throttle cable needs to have a certain amount of slack in it and the idle screw has to be at the right setting. I'm having a T.O.R.S. issue with my 97 Vmax SX right now and havent had time to futz with it so I dont know that I can elaborate much more on it.

Now as far as the oil line goes, it sounds to me like you do not have them in the right place. Is there more than one place to connect the oil line on the fuel pump? I dont remember how they are connected anymore as I havent had an Ovation for about 5 years now... Can you find a repair manual at your local library?

Back