1987 DT 125 LC III - Exciter/Pulser Coil Help

twobig86

Hello,

I have a 1987 DT 125 LC III that I am just about finished rebuilding. I am getting a spark out of it however it is very weak. I checked the resistance of the Exciter (source) coil and pulser coil as instructed in the manual (haynes) and got a reading of 378 Ohms. The manual says that it should read 180 +/- 10% so between (162-198)ohms.

The manual states that if the coil is suspect by this test to remove the stator plate from the machine and take the assembly to a Yamaha dealer for further inspection. Is it possible to test these coils myself? The DT coils can be renewed individually if I can find out which one is faulty, I just don't know how to do this. Or do you have any suggestions as to what else it could be?

Does anyone know the steps to test this sort of thing or do I need to bring it in to a dealer as the manual states? If so does anyone have any idea as to how much a dealer might charge for that type of testing and how much coils would cost?

Thank you

what i ahve found one time is where the wire comming in to the stator area the solder joint was bad on a dt175 78
that coils probabbly close to a blaster coil wich have to be plentyfull . is this the charge to the cdibox or the trigger aka pulser , one charrges the box one fires it the smaller one fires it .
check the resistance at the coil itself it could also have found a bad way to ground itself too so check all connections on that dam plate i have seen this before too on a 225 dx i got for 25 bucks weak spark and she wouldnt run i can remember shoveling snow in the junkyard just to get that dam stator
afterward i had alot of fun on that animal got the last3 owners money worth out of her
thanxz and GOod luck

Back