Another bogging Question

Mudsuker79

Hi guys, I'm new to this site (and sledding) so please take it easy on me. I have an 89 Exciter 570. It's been running great until the other day, we were out riding and my friend had some problems with his sled so I had spent a few minutes idling while waiting for him. After he was ready we took off again. Things were fine for couple minutes and then my machine started to bog. Of course we thought the plugs were fouled from idling so long. New plugs (BR9EYA) didn't help. Removed and cleaned the carbs....same problem. What I thought was stange was that the machine runs fine with the hood up! (It was an interesting ride home in the dark!) I've looked for burnt/pinched wires/hoses, but everything appears to be in good shape. I find it strange that it runs like a champ with the hood up before and after plugs and carb cleaned. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :letitsnow

if it runs good with the hood open, do you have all your vents clear of obstructions? I know when i go deep powder riding, and the hood gets full of snow, and the airbox doesnt get enough air it will run poorly.

Not sure if this is your issue or not, just offering suggestions.

Speed

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't believe that is the case. We weren't in powder but on hard frozen snow. The sled is quite clean and clear. The airbox has since been removed and cleaned again, just to make sure. The problem still exists. It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is warm or cold. Thanks again. Any other suggestions??

I would think it might be the wires that go to the cdi box and voltage reg as the wires are up front and bend with the hood opening ....just a thought....thats a weird one.Maybe hood closing and somehow pulling on choke cables......maybe???

Back