Backfire through exhaust

bgkid2966

I have a 77 Exciter with a 540 fan from an 80 XLV in it. When the engine was in the XLV it ran like a top with a ton of power.
It backfires through the exhaust when I try to accelerate from an idle. I have replaced the plugs, reeds, and cleaned and reset the carb. It has the exhaust from the 340 Exciter in it. It does not have an airbox on it yet. I was hoping to get it running before modding an airbox to fit.

I was told if the exhaust was not the right size it would create an issue with the performance. It sounds like I am going to have to modify the XLV exhaust. It is going to be a major job, so any help would be appreciated. The XLV pipe is a monster in comparison to the Exciter pipe and chassis.

This project has been one challenge after another. This is a custom I would never attempt again. I just want the mechanics right so I can get the hood done and painted over the summer. I hope to have everything done for next winter as my daily rider.

We affectionately call this Frankensled. It has parts from Yamaha, Polaris and A/C.

HELP PLEASE!!!

:letitsnow

try this i have a 1984 srv 540 when i got it this summer it did the same thing i got a can of gumout carb. & parts cleaner from the auto parts store took it apart and soaked it for an hour . the gas we pay an arm and leg for today is nothing but trash try this first before you do all the mods and try running startron in the gas the stuff is the bomb. it keeps it fresh for 2 yrs and keeps the water out + treats@128 gal. for less than 10 bucks hope this helps you

well good luck!!! if you can weld you will be fine but i would still clean that carb .
and send me some pics when done i would love to see it

I will send pics when done with the pipe. The sled should be done in the summer. I have to redo the hood, the 540 was a lot taller than the 340. I do hope to ride it the rest of the winter.

:letitsnow

Last edited:
The pipe is complete and seems to work OK. The air box won't fit so I designed a way to set up the air intake to the carb. I will post pics of exhaust and sled this week sometime.
I am hoping to find a place to test ride in the summer before it gets torn apart to clean up and put the finishing touches on Frankensled.

Back