Barn find 1980 Exciter/ what is it worth??

09VentureGT

Hey everyone, I just came across a 1980 Exciter with only 700 kilometers on the sled, the engine looks like it just came out of the crate, the chassis is very prestine any thoughts of what this sled would be worth would be greatly appreciated. I already own a 1980 SRX so this would be just a great addition, thanks!

It is only worth what I'm willing to pay. :)

I would think that nice should bring $1500ish

8.1chevHD said:
WOW, I wouldn't pay more than $800, but there are thousands of them around here.

Are those thousands "Pristine"? With only "700 km"?

Great Sled Back "in The Day" I Believe It Was @ 48 Hp And Came Off The Line To Mid Range (maybe 50 Mph Or So) With Just About Any Sled In That Era. However The 1980 That I Bought In 1982 As A Second Sled Had About 1000 Miles On It And I Think I Pd @1000 For It. I Really Don't Think It Has A Big "collectors Value".

Thanks for the replies, the guy told me he paid $3000.00 for it said he would take 2500, I told him it wasn't going to happen, that it wasn't really a collectors dream sled, but it was in deed a very nice sled. Again Thanks for the replies.

09VentureGT said:
Thanks for the replies, the guy told me he paid $3000.00 for it said he would take 2500, I told him it wasn't going to happen, that it wasn't really a collectors dream sled, but it was in deed a very nice sled. Again Thanks for the replies.

That thing is going to collect some serious dust. It will not sell for $2,500 unless someone like Bill Gates decides he wants one.!!!!!!!Anyone with half a brain knows better.

Low milage, or would it be kilometerage, isn't really a good thing unless you want to break down. The crank seals have likely gotten dried out and if they fail they will often take the clutch side piston down with them. The lousy part is the sled will run awesome just before it blows up.
I'd prefer a well taken care of machine with a few hundred miles (kilometers again?) put on it every year to one that sat around for years.

Well guys I own it, called the guy up asked if it was still for sale gave him my offer he said come get her, what a beauty polished up and a box of new parts still in the bags. Took it too a show/ride parked her next to my 80 SRX what a pair, had lots of compliments.

Pics of the Exciter and SRX

I hope these pics turned out, thanks for looking. Randy

Attachments

• Exciter and SRX 2011 001.jpg
    Exciter and SRX 2011 001.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Exciter and SRX 2011 002.jpg
    Exciter and SRX 2011 002.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Exciter and SRX 2011 003.jpg
    Exciter and SRX 2011 003.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Exciter and SRX 2011 004.jpg
    Exciter and SRX 2011 004.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Exciter and SRX 2011 005.jpg
    Exciter and SRX 2011 005.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 14
Those are sooooo sweet. Just sold my 1977 STX 440 after having it for near 20 years. The guy comes to pick it up in a week or so. I would so love to have that Exciter.....you don't find them like that anymore.

I just got into the vintage sleds just a couple of years ago starting with the SRX and taking it to many vintage shows and I have received many trophies for that sled so when I found the Exciter and it was 10 miles from our house I really had to have it since it was the same year as the SRX and it was in original condition just had to bring it home and polish it up, now i can take them both to the shows and enter one in orignal and the other in restored, infact going to a ride show this weekend. Thanks for the replies.

Back