2002 SRX Fouling Plugs

SRX2030

Hey everyone, I need some help. I've got a 2002 SRX and the last ride of last year I noticed the sled to not be as crisp and snappy as it should have been when hitting the throttle. I changed plugs, and still nothing. When racing my buddies I would have to have one of them lift it up so i could warm it more so it wouldnt be as bad off the line. Now this year I changed the plugs again before I took out and it was ok, but about 10 minutes after I warmed it up, it dropped the PTO side piston and I changed the plug and off I went. The snowmobile has a bender cold air kit, gutted air box, recommended jetting, bender clutch kit, and carbon tech reeds. I havent cleaned the powervalves or carbs yet and I didnt ride it much last year. It only has 850 miles on it. What do you think? Do I need to rejet? Is a float sticking? or is something wrong electrically? Thanks for the help.

After the carb cleaning I would check out the power valves.
I clean mine every 1000 kms, I think that converts to about 621 miles.
You never know, you might have a broken cable.
just my 2 cents,
mul

Are you getting a flashing light? I had a broken valve cable on my '02 SRX and it flashed a code. The sled still had power on the low throttle side, but when hammered, it felt like it fell on its face. I'm not sure on the jetting with all the mods, but obviously something isn't right. My sled hasn't fouled a plug yet in 4500 miles.

Jon

With the cold air kit and gutted box your sled might be running awful rich. Bender gives you very liberal jetting to run with their kits to insure that you do not burndown. I personally would at least ungut the airbox and jet down a few sizes. What are you running for jetting now? With the DCS system it sounds as if you can run pretty conservative jetting.

I dont have any flashing lights coming from the dcs. The sled doesnt seem to fall completely on its face, it just has awful throttle response, but once its movin it runs great. It seems to have a slight sputter off the start. I never had this kind of trouble with it. It did it the very last ride of the season last year, but i had figured it was b/c it hadnt been ridden for a while. Now when I took it out this year, it ran great and 10 minutes into the ride it drops a cylinder. It was low 20's outside. I forgot what jets i have in it, but i have checked them before and they burn a nice cardboard color, so i know im right on there. Ill check it all out later when i clean everything up. Thanks guys.

Sounds like dirty pilot jets. When it sputters like that, flip the choke on and it should clear it up. If so then you know that it is in the jets.

I would check the condition of the belt and deflection. If it's worn and not at the the top of the secondary you will effectively be in 2nd gear off the line. It would help if you lift and throttle it up and let the clutches backshift with the track in the air as the secondary gets a better chance to put the belt fully to the top of the secondary. It can be amazing the difference a fresh belt can make. Make sure that you don't have water in the fuel by running some isopropyl alcohol. Every time it picks up some water you'll likely foul a plug.

Last edited:
i had the same problem with my 2002 srx. every time i would start it and let it idle it would kill pto side plug. i found out that my oil injection was adjusted way too ritch, dealer said it was good (their going to say that anyway) i adjusted it a little leaner than spec considering that was a little generous anyway. i also found that my choke cable was not retraccting like it should have been and also, not sure if it has anything to do with it or not, but my dealer reccomended br10ecs plugs, i replaced them with br9ecs's and had no problems after. also never seen the dcs light illuminate any more after that. (that was another issue) best of luck... ride it like you stole it!!!

Don't know about the 2002's but the 98 srx's came with br10ecs plugs and they were a huge problem for fouling. Once the machine is switched to br9ecs plugs there is no longer a fouling issue.

If your fouling plugs the ECSs get very expensive. ES is fine, but aren't any more resisant to fouling.
If you can find them, get champion powersports plugs

Drop a size in spark plugs, if you are running rich. I was running a BR9ES and when I put the BR8ES spark plugs in it ran alot better. Spark plugs actually burned better.... FOR MY SLED...

putting in the next hotter plug is not exactly the right way to get the correct burn. You are much better off to jet down to the correct burn, so that you are not running and incorrect heat range in your plug which could cause other damage to the engine.

Back