If you have to go through mud water...

destey

We've got ok coverage on the trails here in VT but one trail I was on yesterday had two 15 foot pools of muddy water I had to go through. Each a little over a foot deep. After I went through my rear suspension (whole sled for that matter) was covered in dark brown slush. After about 10 minutes the sled felt like it had more rolling resistance. I stopped and felt the track clips and they were warm (first time I've felt them be warm). The trail dead ended because of an unsafe bridge (doh!) so I had to turn around and go back through it. After passing through again I spent about half an hour with a screwdriver scraping the muddy slush from underneath. Then I slammed the rear end down a couple times and repeated moving the sled ahead 50 feet then slamming again to get the slush out.

There was still dirt/brown snow inside, but i kept riding. After a few miles the inside looked like it was replaced by clean snow. Should I have called it a day and gone back to my house and sprayed it down with a hose? I kept checking the track clips and they were cold the rest of the day.

What do you guys do in that situation?

I'd keep riding it. Here in MN we occasionally have spot where the loggers are using the snowmobile trail for access. Often will be plowed to bare ground, full of big puddles, etc. Never had an issues. Sometimes have to navigate a half mile to a mile this way.

TopGunnSrx said:
Skim it to win it!

I agree.

That will get less grit in your suspension. It's great practice for those not used to water skipping on ice that isn't as solid as you thought, and a lot more fun than going slow through it too.

destey said:
We've got ok coverage on the trails here in VT but one trail I was on yesterday had two 15 foot pools of muddy water I had to go through. Each a little over a foot deep. After I went through my rear suspension (whole sled for that matter) was covered in dark brown slush. After about 10 minutes the sled felt like it had more rolling resistance. I stopped and felt the track clips and they were warm (first time I've felt them be warm). The trail dead ended because of an unsafe bridge (doh!) so I had to turn around and go back through it. After passing through again I spent about half an hour with a screwdriver scraping the muddy slush from underneath. Then I slammed the rear end down a couple times and repeated moving the sled ahead 50 feet then slamming again to get the slush out.

There was still dirt/brown snow inside, but i kept riding. After a few miles the inside looked like it was replaced by clean snow. Should I have called it a day and gone back to my house and sprayed it down with a hose? I kept checking the track clips and they were cold the rest of the day.

What do you guys do in that situation?

NOT THE SMARTEST DECISION!

horkn said:
I agree.

That will get less grit in your suspension. It's great practice for those not used to water skipping on ice that isn't as solid as you thought, and a lot more fun than going slow through it too.

I'll give it a try!

Back