SRV questions

rose42

Well first of all i am new to this site, i have been told that lots of people here know everything about Yamaha snowmobiles.

I bought this srv for almost nothing, unfortunately that's what it has been doing for many years.

I am not 100% sure on the year but i was thinking it was a 82' 540, with custom pin stripes? please correct me if i am wrong though.
I do not have the # off the engine or frame but i will add that once i go out and take a few better pictures. i know under the hood it says s-rv (8L9) for ordering parts.

Well for the history of it i know the engine was "blown" and it sat for atleast 8 - 10 years then it was fixed and it ran for a week or so, then it blew again.

Now i haven't been able to figure out where to start with this thing. The pull cord will not pull, and there is oil and or gas in the bottom of the engine bay. But i don't want to go about ripping apart the engine finding a big mess, fixing it and 3 days later it blows again. there must be a reason why this is happening. the carb may be running to lean? the fuel pump ? not getting oil? or do these things have a history of this?

Any bit of info on this machine can help alot, i will add more pictures with better light, and get the #'s off it
Thanks.

http://img211.imageshack.us/i/p00147.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/p00154.jpg

Last edited:

thanks for the info, yep its an 82.

And as of now it looks like thats all its good for.. engine will only turn less then an inch backwards then stiff back forwards.. im guessing theres alot of damage in there. But im more intrested in what caused this engine to blow 3 times, something must of been over looked each time it was fixed.

also is there a diff from 82 - 84?

Last edited:
sounds like you have a melted piston , prob. on the clutch side .
Could be a crank seal out or sometimes the fans come loose on the shaft.
they can feel tight if you try to wiggle it with your finger , but at hight speed it can slip and make things run hot.

** my bad i haven't had much time to look at it, but its actually an 81. i will be sure to check the fan and make sure its not coming lose at high speeds. i am most likely going to bore the cylinders due to damage, i just don't want to sink money into it to have the sob blow once again! hopefully ill get to the bottom of the over heating issue. id also like to do something with the rear suspension, if anyone has done this kind of work on these models any input would be helpful. thanks!

On the vintage sleds the plastic in the fans tends to get brittle over time and the vanes on the fan self destruct. Buying a used fan will just cause the same problem again....been there done that :-(. Also I agree with the crank seals.....after two engine failures I would replace them. Check the carb boot too to make sure there are no cracks. You would have to take the head off to see if it was a lean burn that caused the problem. Any air leak other than what is going through the carburetor will cause this. May have been rebuilt poorly too.....maybe cylinder damage that wasn't noticed on the rebuild. For sure whatever it was can be fixed.....how much is it worth to you is the question.

Back