What safety gear do you wear to ride?

Excitabletom

I've already heard a couple of crash stories from this season, plus my own. I'm just back to work after my first ever ambulance ride, 7 days total in a hospital and almost a month off work with 8 broken ribs (let's just say being a "tree hugger" has new meaning for me...)

Once I fully recover, I'm sure I will want to ride again, but with a Tek Vest minimum.

Other than a helmet, what safety gear do you wear riding?

PS to those thinking "I've been meaning to get some safety gear" please do it! I never thought I would crash this hard.

I run a chest protector that includes spine protection, elbow, shoulder pads, and a kidney belt. Knee guards, compression shorts, helmet. High elevation also includes a avy beacon, and a avy pack. I am toying with a Leatte brace as well, but am having fitment issues with the pullovers I wear

Excitabletom said:
I've already heard a couple of crash stories from this season, plus my own. I'm just back to work after my first ever ambulance ride, 7 days total in a hospital and almost a month off work with 8 broken ribs (let's just say being a "tree hugger" has new meaning for me...)

Once I fully recover, I'm sure I will want to ride again, but with a Tek Vest minimum.

Other than a helmet, what safety gear do you wear riding?

PS to those thinking "I've been meaning to get some safety gear" please do it! I never thought I would crash this hard.

Tekvest, kidney belt and my jacket has some forearm, elbow and shoulder protection which was removed since the tekvest made it redundant.

The added benefit with the tekvest is it's claimed to be a floatation device although I haven't tried it out. But spending most of my seat time these days on the river it's comforting.

It's also very warm so more often than not all I wear under it is a t-shirt.

You're a wise man Tom for thinking about protection. Never say never.

Even if you're to most careful guy out there, it's the pole smoker coming the otherway, on your side, over a hill that'll take you out.

Tekvest. Just started wearing this year and really like it. Second on keeping you warm to. I didnt know about the floatation thing for tekvest, i too am a river rat for the most part. Good to know. I just hope i never get to test it. CCC

just a helmet for me. and its odd, I wear full leathers, boots, gloves, helmet when I ride my bike. and it is sportbike leathers, so armor throughout. just never gave it much thought about wearing stuff while riding the sled. really have NO idea why

I'm a tekvest-er too. Had a lucky crash a couple of years ago. Shoulder still isn't 100% but I and the sled were lucky. The next year was a new helmet and a vest. There's as much or more unpredicatable stuff that can happen. The vest is there and hopefully I never need it's protection again.

Back