srx not running on 3

yammyhamer408

whent out for a ride today and i pull on tot the trail and the sled cut out to 2 cylenders. changed the plug sled back fired. the center cylender is not fiering. changed reeds and did not solve the problem. the plug is wet and has spark so i am lost sled will not run ready to burn it any one have any ideas need help asap

carbs are dirty more than likely plugged pilot jets. just had to clean mine it would backfire so hard it would blow 2 pipes off the manifolds

i have cleand the carbs i have tried a hole new coil pack off of my viper and i have tried everything i can think of check the PV's and there all clean even the mecaniche i work with at the yamaha dealer ship is stumd.

need help bad guys can any one help i havent found anything wrong with it its got spark and its got compretion and the plug is wet center cylender just wount fire.

Where the heck is Espanola? Go through the carbs again per tech page.. Put srx (coil pack) back on,,,,,, retest........ with new plugs, caps switched, fresh gas,, check for air leaks on that cylinder, along with reed check..........

yammyhamer408 said:
i have cleand the carbs i have tried a hole new coil pack off of my viper and i have tried everything i can think of check the PV's and there all clean even the mecaniche i work with at the yamaha dealer ship is stumd.

Intermittents are one thing, but if your Yamaha tech can't find whats wrong with your hardfault "running on two", I'd suggest finding another tech.

Add some pre-mix to the center plug hole and see if it lights. If so, pull the carbs. Check the top hat filter/screen and the rest per the tech pages. Check the reeds while you're in there.

spark, fuel, air, compression. If you have compression you're getting air. You say you have spark so the last thing to look for is fuel.

plug is wet and i have spark the plug caps are fine. reeds are brand new. and my yamahay tech has been in the trad and working on yamahas for the last 32 years. he knows his things verry well.

youre float jet might be hanging up it will look clean but if they get worn an they will cock sideways an hang up alot tap the carb few good times

Bring it to Trail Side Sports in Espanola and ask for Gary. He should be able to fix you up. They open at 9.am Saturday till 3.

Last edited:
i work at trail side thood and we figured out the problem it was the cdi pack the center cylender spark is 120 dagrees off on timming

yammyhamer408 said:
i work at trail side thood and we figured out the problem it was the cdi pack the center cylender spark is 120 dagrees off on timming

Curious to know how you guys found this. Just swapping out a known good one?

I guess my previous smug answer did not take into account a mis-timed spark so hats off to your tech.

If you pulled all three plugs, layed them on the cylinder head and pulled the cord, did you find two sparking at once and one sparking on it's own confirming one firing 120 off or did he need to use a degree wheel?

whee used a timming light. put the center cylender at tdc and marked the cluthc and fram for tdc marck and put the timing light on it and pulled it over and the tech found it was 120 degrees out of timing so we figure its the cdi. if any one els has any onther thoughts would be great cuz i dont want to by a brand new cdi and it no be the problem but it all traces back to the cdi.

yammyhamer408 said:
whee used a timming light. put the center cylender at tdc and marked the cluthc and fram for tdc marck and put the timing light on it and pulled it over and the tech found it was 120 degrees out of timing so we figure its the cdi. if any one els has any onther thoughts would be great cuz i dont want to by a brand new cdi and it no be the problem but it all traces back to the cdi.
Ok I have to ask where is Espanola???????

Whammy said:
Ok I have to ask where is Espanola???????
Its in northern ontario wamster 1hr west of sudbury and on the road that goes south to manatulin island.Sledders paradise really and very nice area to own a boat.

it sure is a sledders paradis when ya have a sled and the cdi did not saolve my problem dose anyone els have any ideas. im stumped

yammyhamer408 said:
it sure is a sledders paradis when ya have a sled and the cdi did not saolve my problem dose anyone els have any ideas. im stumped

any progrees with this?.. I'm having similar issues and soon the sled is going to feel the kiss of a pipe wrench... hope it's not a crank seal.. tj

Back