first ride on the viper s

blueblooded

Well i got out and put about 50 miles on my viper s today.I had srx's last year.The ride is the first thing i noticed,what a difference it rode excellent.I was impressed with the power too,after reading posts that the viper was slow i was getting a little worried.Im still breaking it in but,its a petty quick sled.The ripsaw track is amazing,hooks up like a studded track.I only have one complaint:something is making a strange rubbing sound mostly on deceleration over bumps,Its not a constant rubbing,but every once in a while i hear it.I thought maybe the track was rubbing on the heat exchanger,or the hoods making the noise-i cant find what it is?I ran the sled on the stand and i dont hear it so its gotta be in the chassis some where.

Yeah I have a 1998 srx 600 and she flys on top end. My father, just picked up a 2002 viper(if you go to the snowmobile home page he's under PINS 2002 SXVIPER); his low end torque is awesome! Of course he has 196 studs too so that would make a difference. I love the pull of his sled and how it is set up. ~*cool sled*~ :rockon:

Ny, I realize yours is a 2004 Viper-s, but the previous Vipers like my 2002 make a chaincase whine during decelleration. It's really nothing to worry about if that's it. They all seem to do it. The big problem with a stock Viper is they are so dang quiet you hear every little thing, even rocks clicking under the skis.

try tightening the track a little more mine did the same thing. I tightened it a little and it got better. I think the track was trying to climb on the drive wheels when I'd get on the brakes hard. The track is a little noisier than a .92

Ice Build-up

The sled really likes to form ice. I get that noise and it is from the track rubbing on the ice. Wait until it expels some from the top of the tunnel. You can really feel it on you tushy.

Look under there, you'll see it.

I just picked up a new viper s today also. this thing is the cats ***. the ride compared to my 02' viper is way different. it doesn't kick like the 02' and the ripsaw track is every bit as good as the rumors imply. I put about 40 miles on it tonight and can't wait for tomorrow....isn't a new sled just cause for a sick day?

By the way, the dealer I got mine from as 3 more Viper S's in the crate if anyone is looking for one. T & R Yamaha in East Jordon 231-536-7462. ask for Randy (he's the owner) he also has lots of 03' and 04' viper er's and viper mountains to get rid of. His words "make a half way reasonable offer and its yours".

Congrats on the new Viper Tom...I'm torn now that I've got an 02 136 M-10 Viper ohlins all around and my 04 Viper-S betwen which one to ride. My bad back is telling me ride the 02 while my speed freak side is telling me to ride the Viper-S. Either way I'll stick with Viper 2-strokes for quite awhile unless they make a 4-stroke 2 cylinder in the same weight and horsepower range as my Vipers :yam:

Oh id love a viper s too bad my wife would kill me, somehting about building a house this year????

Hey Blueblooded

I just put 365 miles on my brand new Viper S this past weekend. You definitely have to tighten the track. With all of that hookup it tends too stretch quicker than most other tracks I have ridden. Also, my DCS wire broke right where it goes into the wire harness! Wire is very thin and the ziptie was too tight. Bummer.

I just bought a 53/43 dalton helix for my 04 viper s and will be trying it out this weekend in tug hill.I'll let you know how it works.

Please post the results! I bought the same helix and the green spring but dont have the snow to test it out. I hope it is great results. Looking for a comparison to stock setup. :WayCool:

S Follow up (1000 miles)

My 04 Viper S has been excellent - runs great, rides great, very quiet and I love the Ohlins. I actually loosened my track at 800 miles. Thing is great now, gained about 8 mph on top. So be sure to check the deflection per the manual and then back it off a bit. The noise I think you talking about is the chain case and the brake disc.

I'm going to try to tune the ski lift out of it yet this season.

Keep posting your new info and hopefully we can all get ours dialed in to perfection.

Sledboy, I got her for $6900 OTD....and worth every penny. It takes the bumps like know other sled I have ever had...sure makes whooped out trails a blast!

Sniper, I also have an 02' viper...actually its my 2nd 02', my first one was totalled 2 weeks ago. I found a culvert right where you would least expect it, hidden under a driveway. people should be more considerate and not leave them there. anyway, I kept my 136 expert and i'm going to put on our new 02' as soon as I pick it up from the guy I bought it from. I found a good deal there also, $3900, 1600 miles and looks like it just come off the showroom floor. It will be a great sled for the wife...or for me in the deep stuff.
Tom

Back