Thinking of upgrading to an SRX need opinions

Sx700

hey guys, I need some opinions, Right now I have a 1997 700 SX and Im thinking of buying an 2000 or 2001 SRX. Is there really that big of a difference as far as performance goes between the SX and the SRX? How much faster is the SRX over the SX? I guess what Im getting at is that I don't want to spend the money on an SRX, if the performance is gonna be close to the SX. So any help would be great!!! THANKS

it is a lot faster, but a lot heavier and not quite as well-mannered on the trails. SRX is built more for screaming on the lakes and smooth trails, not near as good at the bumps as the sx's and sxr's. There are also tons of cheap and easy mods to really wake up the sx's if you feel the power is an issue

well said.
You can wake up that SX with a few free easy mods. It depends on your riding style. If you like the trails I would not switch. If you want to run the lakes and races accross the lakes get the SRX.

I went from a 97 700sx to a 2002 srx. As others have said, the 700sx is more easy to maneiver, feels lighter, and for me is more fun in the tight twisties as it stays a bit flatter in the corners. I wouldnt say its a significant difference though and as the trails become wider and less twisty, the difference is almost non-existent. The stock srx rear suspension also feels a bit stiffer than the 700sx and rides harder but that could be to poor intitial setup.

If you buy an srx, I would defineitly recommend long traveling the sled with viper take-off shocks so you have a sled with significant more power and an improved suspension over the sx.

My SX was triple piped and the SRX in stock form is still significantly faster on top end. Acceleration up to a point is similar for both sleds until the srx takes over.

I still have the sx, but it doent get ridden much anymore if that also helps you.

HUH??????????????? The srx is one of the best trail sleds out there. The power is night and day, handleing is great, and with some sxr or Viper shocks it will handle the bumps like butter. I went from a 97 700 sx to a 00srx 700 and never looked back. Nothing against the sx, but there not even in the same ball park. Go with a SRX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRX vs SX

I agree with most! I think the SRX pound for pound is much better in all aspects! Ride and handling is actually better for me on the SRX. My 99 Is dialed in for the way I trail ride! I tryed both 3 years ago and after bought the SRX and never looked back! The newer SXR has a little better ride but not the SX. I spent 350.00 and had my rear shocks long traveled and set up for my weight (Maxxium performance) and it rides much better! The SRX handles like a slot car on steriods and nothing feels better than watching that speedo crank to 120MPH on the straits!!!!!!!!!! I think stock no other sled compares!

Thats Right Boys. You Are All Exactly Right. The Srx Is A Great Piece Of Machinery. Its Very Fast Amd I Love The Way My 2002 Handles In Tight Corners And On The Straight Aways. I Had A 2001 Srx700 But I Chise To Go With The 2002 Srx Because Of The Power And The Ride. Travel Is Not A Much But I Feal I Have Sacrificed Nothing But Gained Lots. Dont Worry The Srx If Set Up Properly Loves The Bumps, Go Fast Enough And You Wont Even Feel Them...

Alright well then my next question is, a local dealer has 2 of them for sale, a 2000 with 1200 miles for $3200 and a 2001 with 1600 miles for $3900, haven't looked at either of them yet so I don't know what kind of shape there in, but does that sound like a decent price?

I love my SX, I haven't had any problems with it, since ive owned it for the past 4 years, I put a new 1.50 paddle track on it last year, SLP silencer, USI skis, and some other stuff, it's wicked fast and does handle great, but it's coming up on 9000 miles, yup thats right 9000. The motor has never been touched and still runs great, but the sled is getting loose and is going to need alot of work next fall (suspension, ball joints, steering components) So it looks like im off to the dealer!! THANKS guys!

I Would Go With The 2001 For $3900. Better Sled Than The 2000. There Are Some Differences With Timing And I Like The Silver Tunnel Rather Than All Blue, Much Sharper Looking, Buy It Believe Me You Will Love It, Seriously I Switched From A 2001 700 Sxr And I Thaught It Might Have Been A Mistake But I Now Realize That It Was All Good. I Love It. Dont Think That You Cant Pound It Over The Trails, Dont Let People Scare Ya. I Found The Travell Loss Ro Be No Big Deal At All. Go For It Buddie You'll Be Impressed.

No timing differences in the two years. The only differences are cosmetic and jetting. The 00 was jetted alittle leaner than the 01. Some say the 00 was a hair quicker than the 01 also.

maddogs is correct - just a different color and timing. I love my all blue 00 compared to the silver. I would take either or depending on which one is cleaner.

Back