2ndary spring question

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
is a green spring wraped at 70 basically the same as a red spring wrapped at 80??What difference is there between the both?? Green would be better for deeper snow running..less slippage?

both springs being near equal, take a close look at the protrusions on the spring that would sit in the holes on the sheave and the helix. look closely. you will notice that these are in different locations on the springs themselves. i dont recall which one is more offset than the other, but you will see.

cant say yay or nay on your math, but you may be close.

perhaps green at 60 is closer to red at 80.Usually in warm weather and conditions you should drop rpm's.A stiffer spring will bring them up again..but the wrap is the thing here..to much and a green spring could drive rpm's to hi again.I noticed on Bluemonster2's xrc 700.it originally has a green at 60 wrap.I thought that would have slipped belt alot espeially with a 1.5 track..but it pulled goos in the deep stuff he said.

yes snowdad4..I notice them little legs in the springs are in different location..now compare a silver spring to a green..wow..it is way opposite yet

No it is not the same. Wrap em both same day same conditions & watch what your tach does.

I understand that Turk...on the same day...but a cold day to a warmer day..could it make sense to swap springs or basically just play with twist...just wander that when in deeper snow conditions want less belt slip and by wrapping it tighter or changing springs and reduce wrap will bring out almost basically same results...
I hear a noise below when I pin the 600 in 2 to 3 feet os snow..wander if that is a belt slipping noise or ratcheting..but I track is only 1.25 sag with 21 lb pull..not to loose.I just hate that noise..like a grinding type of noise..hard to describe.If I am fully pinned and then hit that powder..it is fine.If I get into the power and then punch it..that sort of noise will haunt me..sounds terrible..like something is being forced..I then just let off throttle till it is gone and throttle out easy..don't know what racheting would sound like..maybe that grinding type of noise.We have the XTC set same way on track and that track is 1.5 and you would think it would really rachet in deep stuff if track was not tight enough...oh well I will live with it.I could try tightening the track up 1/4 turn at a time and see..

blue, sounds like your ratcheting the track. it will sound like something is grinding, as the track drivers slip over the little rubber cogs.

well mopar..I am melting all the snow off the sled tonight and will look everything over.Will get it on the hoist and then give her a little tightening..just a little and try it again..thanks and the sound is aweful for sure if that is the sound..must be..
my clutching was good today also in about -10 C..rpms wot about 8400-8500 no more.. ;)!

take into consideration as well how much the track "balloons" in free air.

set the sled on a stand, pin the throttle and wath the shape of the track. with no resistance, as in powder snow, this same action will duplicate itself as on the stand.

you dont notice it in hard pack conditions because the snow will not let the track oval out as much. read that as the hard ground inhibits the ballooning effect.

i have mentioned it a few times for the mtn riders, adjust the track for snow conditions.

it i amazing..looked at the track and drivers and can't see how the drivers could even jump the cogs..they are tight against each other.So you say balloning in the soft stuff will make the track fly over the drivers and not contacting directly..I have my SRX basically same tension,maybe a tad looser and it doesn't make that sound when I pin it in deeper snow.Now SRX rack is a 1" and SXR is 1.25".Track difference maybe grabs nore snow this causing a faster ballooning maybe.No lugs are missing on track and driver tips are all good and not worn out or missing.

Back