88 Exciter mod

I also got rid of my oilinjection and all the hoses, I mix it directly in the gas (feels much more safer). Got rid of the airbox too, bought unifilters instead. Mine is already maximum bored so if anything happens to the pistons i have to change it all.

I´m on my way to the garage now, preparing to switch my vm carbs to tm 38. After that i will settle for a while and when spring comes i will make the skidchange. I probably terrorize you with questions then:)

I will be glad to help, I wish I had someone to ask questions when I started on some of my other projects

My first custom, 1978 Kawasaki Intriguer 440 F/C, made a lift kit for it, switched from a 116" long track to a 121" with 1.25" lugs Bigger carb and modified the pipe

oldvsnew.jpg

side.jpg

My 2nd custom 1982 Yamaha SRV 540, was waiting on a seat cover to finish it off, and in the mean time I crashed it.

srvmax.jpg

sad2.jpg

Wow! Really nice projects! I espesially like the srv. You seem to have a great deal of experience when it comes to sledmods:) This is my first project and i´m nearly 35! Well it´s never to late to start right? Here´s the pics i promised you, just check it from time to time, i will update it while i´m going. I comment the pics in both swedish and english so you can follow my thougts. Keep up the good work!/d

http://www.pixbox.se/alb1215700

looking great! Ya I started on sleds when I was 12 and I am 24. So I have a dozen years experience and my uncle is also a very good mechanic. I am very impressed with your english, it is excellent!

Thanx! I guess my teachers were good then:) Parts and technical terms is a bit of a problem sometimes though. I´m on my way to the garage now, got an idea that the rails from my v-max 136" skid can be used as a donator? In that case i think i have to start my extension a bit sooner then expected. The stock skid has an air adjusted öhlin shock and it would be nice to use it together with dropbrackets. Got more pics from your extension work?

My homemade bars from my Intriguer Mod are now on my Exciter, I made my own throttle extension, what a pain in the ***, but it works! Then to get a longer brake cable, I took the front cable and lever set up off of a wrecked 1984 Yamaha YZ 250 and removed the end off of it and put the Exciter slack adjuster and tit on it, works awesome, plus I have enough cable to put 18 inch risers hahahahahaha. I also went to my friends fathers metal shop and used his metal brake and shear to make a nice fuel tank rack on my tunnel extension.

excitermod1111.jpg

excitermod2222.jpg

hypothetically that skid should bolt right in but if not its not a big deal to re-locate mounts, I used the stock mounts in the front, I just drilled a hole one inch lower. Then in the rear I made my own home made brackets, It's a three inch drop from stock I think.

Sweet! Nice job! I have the same problem with the extension of my brakewire, thankfully you seem to have found a working solution! I bought an extension for the trottle wire but could´nt find any for the brake! I started my extension project today (check the pixbox) but it is as always... nothing goes smooth, an axel was really damage so my brother promised to streighten it out at work:)

I did what i said, took the stock skid out and used the longer rails from the v-max. I think it´gonna work pretty good. Time will tell... its´midnight now and have to be in the garage in six hours.....

I was planning to make 3 inch dropbrackets myself, think that would work awesome with the v-ax front suspension:) cheers mate! (having a little beer here hehehe)

where'd you pull the 136" skid from? I just acquired one from a venture and now need new drive sprockets, assuming you had to replace your's too?

Yeah, i can´t wait to get back to the garage and continue, hopefully it wont take to long before the skid is in place. But then i have to create an extension for the chassie and figure out a way to hide the hoses. I guess i have to move the radiator right? Just talked to my brother he fixed the broken axel, and the shock is almost rebuild:) Things are moving pretty nice right now.

ya you will have to move the heat exchanger back. Its not too bad, as you can see I made a gas rack to hide mine. If you use 1x1 inch square tubing it works great to build the frame of the extension. I would have bent it out of aluminum but did not have any aluminum available and plus I already had the extension laying around from my wrecked SRV lol.

Yeah it looks really nice! Your exciter became a brutal beast, hopefully we can find others who share the same interest i modyfing these old classics in this place! In sweden there was´nt to many treads about exciters, lucky me i found totally yamaha:)

Yeah sounds great! I will gear down too, probably with smaller drivewheels (not decided yet)

I saw a new youtube video of that 88 exciter, maybe try to get some vids of you climbing. looks neat. I need to post up a pic of my sled, its a 92 exciter 2, polaris 136 skid, 96 vmax 600 with fresh topend (wiseco) and carbs, psi twin pipes, 98 Polaris modified seat and gas tank, custom steering post, skidoo rev bar riser, and fly areoflex bars.

If anyone on this thread knows, or has a template for dropping and rolling the chaincase I would interested.

Back