IL sled registration--how??

Don B.

I'm fairly new to this sledding game; I have a 79 Enticer that I am just getting (hopefully) finished up and ready to ride; in the short time I have been following this forum I have read about more-then-one story of this greedy state's DNR ticketing riders over registration issues;
To add to it my 17 yo son's buddy stopped by late this afternoon, with a story of his own; this kid lives near me during the week w/his Mom and on weekends he drives out to the Mendota area to his Dad's, where I guess he has a sled or 2 available to him to play on;
Well it seem sthat he got stopped by DNR on a sled, and ticketed this morning before he drove back this way; this kid is either 17 or 18.
they got him for; 1) no (current) registration stickers
2) not having a Driver license "on" him;
and a 3rd offense that escapes me right now but it was something petty that I don't think was worth their time, the waste of a form or the ink;

He's a kid, it's Sunday and he don't even live out there, just visiting his Dad;
I didn't witness the stop but I'd have to say the DNR agent was a jerk-off in writing this up; the kid says the DNR agent said these tix would cost $175;

I must say if it were me I would have come unglued, at being written up; or if it were my kid who was; though my "luck" with cops and such, let's just say that "if it were not for "bad" luck, I would have NO luck; they string me to the Cross for the piddliest of infractions that cost me dearly; I don't know what a "warning" or a "break" is.... I don't get them. Seat belts, missing front license plate on a 32-year old car, going with the flow of traffic being the middle car of a pack, and I get singled out and nailed while the rest buzz by, etc.

So I need to know if there is a way to legally register this Enticer I have; or did I waste my time and gas in chasing parts on this thing?? I hope you don't tell me it's "not doable" without previous paperwork! the most current sticker on this thing is from 1987!!! I have my own 17 yo that is really chomping at me to get this thing finished up and running... especially with a few days of blizzard knocking at our door (I know that there is no way to get this thing legal w/o previous paperwork very soon) but I need to know if I can do it at all.....

oh; and why would not having an ID on you be such a big deal while riding on a sled??? I never knew of any "driver's" license, or endorsement, being needed to run a snowmobile!!!

I've always had a problem with people not registering sleds... Some states dump A LOT of money into their trail systems. Those registration costs go directly towards the trails.

smokingcrater said:
I've always had a problem with people not registering sleds... Some states dump A LOT of money into their trail systems. Those registration costs go directly towards the trails.
Not Illinois

gbic1 said:
Not Illinois
Yeah; nobody really knows what Illinois does with all the money they steal from its residents.... hey gbic; Peotone? I'm not far away; kankakee here, grew up in Monee.
I didn't really see anything on that link that said anything about what I need to do; (if I had paperwork I wouldn't have started the thread, ha ha) hopefully I can call them and get what I need.

Been awhile since I registered in IL. I register mine in Wisconsin since this is where I ride. I think you can pick up a form at a currency exchange and you will need to find the vin on the chassis. Looks like we are going to need the sleds here for the next couple of days. :letitsnow

gbic1 said:
Been awhile since I registered in IL. I register mine in Wisconsin since this is where I ride. I think you can pick up a form at a currency exchange and you will need to find the vin on the chassis. Looks like we are going to need the sleds here for the next couple of days. :letitsnow
I had to do this in IL with no paperwork. A bill of sale goes a long way. Even if you make it. You will get a registration no problem. I believe you fill out the form and send it in. Before you get your sticker in the mail, you carry a copy of the registration as proof.
One bad thing that can happen to you. If the sled has been reported stolen in the past, you will lose it to the person it is registered to and reported stolen by.
If you are ever asked why it was not registered when you bought it.... it was used on private property only for years.

Hope this helps.

munisean said:
I had to do this in IL with no paperwork. A bill of sale goes a long way. Even if you make it. You will get a registration no problem. I believe you fill out the form and send it in. Before you get your sticker in the mail, you carry a copy of the registration as proof.
One bad thing that can happen to you. If the sled has been reported stolen in the past, you will lose it to the person it is registered to and reported stolen by.
If you are ever asked why it was not registered when you bought it.... it was used on private property only for years.

Hope this helps.
Thanks; I HOPE it don't come back stolen; I bought it via CL about a month ago; but I honestly have no clue as to where it has been; I stared with a different sled, bought this one as "parts" but strangely it turned out to be in better shape than the one I was originally gonna fix-up; so, I swapped which was "parts" and which is to be the "runner"; it's all back together, I gotta fire it up later (waiting for the wife to get home so I can go to town for gas and 2-cycle mix) I finally got "most-of" a seat for it the other day and cut out a new plywood bottom for it, and I took it in today to be recovered; I'm supposed to have the seat back within the next day or so (as long as they can get to work tomorrow to finish it up for me)
but a $175 ticket would be more than half of what I have tied up into this machine........

if you LIVE in IL how can you register something in a different state??? do you have a "residence" in WI? What difference would it make riding a sled in WI that's registered "somewhere" as opposed to one not having any registration?

Don B. said:
oh; and why would not having an ID on you be such a big deal while riding on a sled??? I never knew of any "driver's" license, or endorsement, being needed to run a snowmobile!!!

BUMP; I do have my drivers license, but I am still curious, why this is apparently a big deal, while "driving" a sled?
(the kid I referenced in the OP does too; just didn't have it "with" him, at that moment)

21 yrs and younger you need to go to a safty course and I think its the same in Wi. And like stated in a early post just make a bill of sale fill the form out on dnr website send it in and you are all good. And also anytime you ride that sled and cross over a road or ride along the side of the road its just like driving a car u need a DL.

Last edited:
OK thanks; the B-O-S won't be a problem; though it in all likelihood won't be from the last REGISTERED owner.... I have no clue as to how many sets of hands this thing has been thru.

and on the safety class deal; how would I get my 17 yo signed up and do they offer these classes regionally?

Back