SOB; what next?

Don B.

OK; I have talked on here a little bit about this Enticer I am piecing together; as my 17 yo nags on, and we are expecting a huge blizzard; took the seat in today (finally got one, $40 for basically the foam, the plastic front piece and the tail light pocket; (the guy is supposed to find me the taillight and mail it to me) I had to put it all on a new board and took it all in this morning to have the cover made; boy nobody here anymore does upholstery; 6 months ago there were 3 or 4 places;
So I finally found someone who still does it after 3 or 4 stops;
and I got the whole thing put together,freshly clean carb, varmint nests out of the airbox and everything;
so, I went to put gas into it for the 1st time, and dammit; it all leaked out! There's a busted nipple on the bottom of the tank, where the "level indicator" hose connects; and the tank on the parts one I sold didnt have that problem; figures, the old need something after it's gone just bit me in the a$$; Can I just put a self tapping screw in that nipple and call it good? Maybe a piece of inner tube or rubber washer as a "gasket"
or has anyone ever repaired that nipple so the tank and that fuel level indicator stays functional? Or, am I doomed to find another tank?
If I put a screw in where that nipple used to be, will I have problems with tank venting?

There should be a separate line for the vent. I would think if you plugged the hole you would be okay but it's kind of a redneck fix. Maybe use an adhesive or caulk that is approved for use in environments with fuel present to seal the screw water-tight. Maybe plug the line coming out the top too, in case he gets the fuel sloshing around bigtime and leaking out. You might be able to get a hold of a tank for not very much money...

Redneck will work, FOR NOW; I wish I still had the parts sled in back of the garage now; its tank held liquid (IDK if it would qualify as "gas" as it was at least 8 years old whatever it was in there) but it's now gone. but as much as I have wrapped up in this thing, I need to at least hear it run, and see the gear train work before I spend more $$ on it... or find out what else is wrong with it at least.....
I'm wondering right now if all I have tied up in it is "worth it". That needs to be determined. Blocking the other end of that line wont be a problem.

Back