ethanol and oil

mopar1rules

well, lost a center rod bearing in my srx now, within 20 miles after filling up at a BP station w/93 oct and 10% ethanol. it seems that yamalube can't stay on the bearings, and hold up against the ethanol. i called amsoil and asked if they had problems w/ethanol washing oil off of bearings, and the guy said YES. he said they changed the formula of their "intercepter", "dominator", and all 4-stroke sled oils. he said they made the oil more sticky. i also called klotz today, and the tech guy told me that their super-techniplate injection oil for sleds, is good up to 15% ethanol. he said if i was to get 18% ethanol, then i would be having the same troubles as what i'm having now w/yamalube. anybody else w/some good input? what oils are you guys using and having good luck against ethanol?

I guess mrviper was correct that there will be a lot of engine's going down this season due to ethanol related gas...this is a new one to me that it washes the oil of the bearing also..wow!!!

bluemonster1 said:
I guess mrviper was correct that there will be a lot of engine's going down this season due to ethanol related gas...this is a new one to me that it washes the oil of the bearing also..wow!!!

From what I see & hear lots of Etec's. Also, any sled that was on the edge before is now on borrowed time ?

bluemonster1 said:

I've been seeing first ride deto squeaks for at least 3 years due to stored fuel.

Haven't given ethanol's ability of washing oil film much thought (gasoline is a solvent, so is H2O) and I haven't seen any such failures but I'm not sure I'd know it if I saw it nor do I do a high volume either.

If an area of a crank is dry but not coked is that a sign?

what you gonna do mopar, do you think re-adjusting the oil pump will help, ive got mine running so rich on fuel and oil right now i think a 250 bravo might give me a good run, :o| ,I just need to bite the bullet and go 4strokin or give it up, not much fun anymore when every time you ride your worried about the blow up :o|

dhoward said:
what you gonna do mopar, do you think re-adjusting the oil pump will help, ive got mine running so rich on fuel and oil right now i think a 250 bravo might give me a good run, :o| ,I just need to bite the bullet and go 4strokin or give it up, not much fun anymore when every time you ride your worried about the blow up :o|

exactly. i was thinking i would need to get an apex, in order to survive this ethanol crap, as i'm scared to even pull the cord now on any 2-stroke sled. i already have my pump set, so i get 80-100 miles per qt. i think i may try switching oils.......gonna try klotz now maybe. i did talk to a good friend/engine builder of mine and he said that he noticed that engine break-in took forever on klotz. that i don't like. i'm gonna do some more research and see. i wonder how the ski-doo mineral oil, polaris oil, and arctic cat oils hold up to this ethanol?

I run the Amsoil HP injector and have a pile of miles on with this e-10 and no problems.Lucky maybe not sure?I have a single layer head gasket also with the other usual mods.It does seem the Vipers and Srx's are having more problem in this regard, why do you guys think this is?Amsoil has a fuel treatment for dealing with ethanol problems supposedely and it won an award at the sema show in Vegas, anybody use that stuff?

SWEDE said:
I run the Amsoil HP injector and have a pile of miles on with this e-10 and no problems.Lucky maybe not sure?I have a single layer head gasket also with the other usual mods.It does seem the Vipers and Srx's are having more problem in this regard, why do you guys think this is?Amsoil has a fuel treatment for dealing with ethanol problems supposedely and it won an award at the sema show in Vegas, anybody use that stuff?

that's what i want to know and am trying to figure out. seems the red head triples don't get affected at all, or nearly as much as a viper or srx.

Interesting that in the past the Vipers seemed to have more crank bearing issues then SRXs...same bearings on crank, same cases, same oil pump...but...recommended 87 octane fuel = Ethanol
SRXs recommended 92 octane = less or no Ethanol

Makes you think

I've been running the shell v-power like suggested on some older post and so far so good. Think I've been through about 30 gals. Also using ipone oil.

Got about 400-500 miles this year, always yamalube, usually always 93 octane, occasionally 92 or 91 on the trail. oil pump set at 20mm, 2001 jetting. so far, so good.

sideshowBob said:
Interesting that in the past the Vipers seemed to have more crank bearing issues then SRXs...same bearings on crank, same cases, same oil pump...but...recommended 87 octane fuel = Ethanol
SRXs recommended 92 octane = less or no Ethanol

Makes you think

It's my understanding that here in Michigan regular 87 was the last to get ethanol. The higher premium blends have been E10 much longer than 87. The ethanol is what's used to up the Anti Knock Index.

I asked some experts for some light reading and am pooring through it now. Interesting stuff but the layman take away so far is that all premium fuels are not created equal.

How they get to a (R+M)/2 number dictates the fuels ability to protect against high speed knock (MON) vs. low speed run-on (RON).

Still reading. I have some of this in a PDF if anyone is interested.

snomofo said:
It's my understanding that here in Michigan regular 87 was the last to get ethanol. The higher premium blends have been E10 much longer than 87. The ethanol is what's used to up the Anti Knock Index.

I asked some experts for some light reading and am pooring through it now. Interesting stuff but the layman take away so far is that all premium fuels are not created equal.

How they get to a (R+M)/2 number dictates the fuels ability to protect against high speed knock (MON) vs. low speed run-on (RON).

Still reading. I have some of this in a PDF if anyone is interested.

i would be interested in that PDF reading material. also, RON is research octane number and MON is motor octane number.

mopar1rules said:
i would be interested in that PDF reading material. also, RON is research octane number and MON is motor octane number.

PM'd you.

Correct, a low MON increases potential for high speed knock and low RON increases potential of dieseling/run-on.

Over simplified - if a 91 octane fuel has a low MON and high RON the engine using it is less protected against high speed knock/deto but protection is improved against low speed run-on and visa versa...

Still reading...

I just remembered reading an article in Snow Tech magazine last fall that was a q&a of sorts and it had a segment with a Yamaha tech claiming there sleds have been e-10 tolerant from the late 80's and up!I sure was surprised to read that and wondered how factual it was???

corn ethanol as a fuel is such bulls***. It is only used here to subsidize the farmers, I like farmers ,but we grow an over abundance of corn. Does anybody realize that the energy return/ energy invested of corn ethanol is a whopping 1/1 ratio. Simply put, it takes as much energy to refine it as it produces in the end product. Plus it usually contains about 5% water. It also only produces about 60-65% energy as gasoline. It takes about 1.6 gallons of ethanol to produce the energy of 1 gal of gas. maybe that's why my fuel mileage seems bad this year.???

Back