how do i measure skid?

if your wanting to confirm what the skid length is, simply run a tape measure down the rails where the hyfax is or would be. not counting the black rubber rail tips, the 141 skid rails are around 54 1/2", if its a yamaha skid.

your tunnel will easily accept that skid, depending what extension is on it.

skid size

here is where im at i have it on side with front two bolts of skid lined up in tunnel and hand started those bolts. from what i can tell the track is wrapped to tightly around skid to fit all the way back in tunnel.. when i go to try to push skid and track to line up other bolts it seems why to tight and cant get it close...

on the skid where i measured the hyfax it was about 50 inches i also have extensions make it that about that 54 inches that i am told that's where i should be that i could use but don't see how they would fit.... confirmed with serial number that my track is 141 and the pulleys say Yamaha on skid any ideas or help is so needed thanks

measure from the center of the drive shaft to the center of the front arm bolts you have in now. it should be about 9". as for the skid having yamaha bogie wheels, that wont necessarily mean its a yamaha skid. pictures would confirm.

you may have the 136 skid and it was designed to mount further forward in the tunnel and may not work in the ekholm without redrilling some holes, if the tunnel was designed for the 2000 and up geometry.

the measurement i got was about 10.5 inches ...if that makes any sense what would be the best plan to make it work ...re drilling and locating or finding different skid just to confirm i do not have extensions on right now... thanks for quick replay

has the chaincase been dropped and rolled? and does the tunnel have provisions for this? this could make the difference in the measurement.

look where the driveshaft comes through the tunnel as well as the secondary shaft above the tunnel and see if there are any signs of either being relocated.

also, drop the skid back out and lets do some measuring to figure out what skid you have. its somewhat easy to tell based on the location of the mounting points on the rails as wel as the front w or h arm.

there does not seem to be any mods to the tunnel where drive shafts come though

i am pulling out skid right now where should i measure

measure in a straight plane from the tip of the rails to the center of the front pivot where it mounts just above the rails to the triangular bracket. this measure will include the rubber rail tips. it may be easier to stand the skid on end and measure straight up.

you have a 136 skid most likely from a 97-99 mtn max, without seeing any pictures. the tunnel is not designed for this skid, but it or the skid can be adapted.

take a look at the tunnel by the fuel tank area. you will see the steering hoop brackets. a channel looking piece of metal attached to the tunnel where the tank cover plastics and misc attach. is there a bolt hole about 2-2 1/2" ahead of this bracket?

i can not find any holes like that on tunnel

if i could adapt skid i would like that idea i got the hole thing for 50 bucks and just want to ride in till i can find the proper stock skid for the 2000 and newer tunnel like mine

that makes sense about 136 from 97 99 got it from old parts yard here in Montana and sound about right

it is possible to adapt the skid, but i dont know if i have a 141 formula. i would have to find my notes. all the ones i did were setting up for 136-151. i take crappy notes and half the time confuse myself. i havent done this for awhile but it was a simple matter of relocating the front arm on the rails. by doing this it changes the approach angle for the better like the newer skids.

whats the length of your front arm from the bolt holes where it would go in the tunnel to the bolt attached to the triangular bracket?

i will look for my notes in the mean time.

thalts a good number.

heres what i was doing back in the day. take it for what its worth. think about it while looking at your skid and visualise and proceed at your own risk. i never had any problems with this mod, but thats just me.

this was for the 97-99's so the only kicker is your tunnel and may or may not be applicable. i was actually relocating the skid in the tunnel as well as the front arm. never noted track size but i am guessing it was set for either 141 or 144, based on numbers.

the front skid arm and bracketry will move back on the rails 4 7/8". the front shock lower mount moves back 5". this was the tricky one as it had to be tipped slightly to get a good hole for the bolt as it drilled very close to an existing hole, or one of the two did. the crosshaft that would be in the way moves forward to the holes where the front shock used to mount.

my notes are vague, but if this sounds like something you want to try, i will walk you through as best i can. again, proceed at your own risk.

yea that sounds good lets try it

i think i have a pretty good idea of how it should go
does the rear shock have to move also so it will be functional and i know this is a green horn question but what is the right what size drill bit i should start with for front bracket ?

rear shock stays where its at. your basically converting your rails from 136 to 141. all the hole sizes are on the rails. unbolt the front arm and lower shock mount, as well as the crosshaft and thats the hole size you need. use center to center for the measures, measure carefully and precisely as you dont want to rack the skid.

after some further research, if you complete the rail mod, the skid will match holes in the tunnel and bolt up, going from memory.

one thing to watch for before drilling any holes is where the new holes will come close to the existing holes. precautions must be taken here. if at all possible, lay out the new holes with a sharpie and before any drilling, clamp the arm and shock mounts to the rails to get an idea of what your accomplishing. then whichever mount it was that had to be lifted slightly to clear an existing hole will be evident. you want to be sure and have plenty of material on the rail when drilling new holes. you should see what i am talking about. wish i had one here to compare.

couple of drilling tips: use a center punch first and start with a smaller bit, around 3/16 or 1/4 for the pilot hole, then work your way up to the final size. 25/64 comes to mind for final hole size. shock mount may have 2 sizes of bolts.

well the sled is put together and is in working order thanks again for the info

what skid do you recommend i look for that would be near stock for the sled or best and easy fit

Back