Venture 600 triple clutch questions

suva57

I recently bought a low mile (660ish) Venture for the old lady, it runs great, clutches are clean and are set to Yammi specs for the elevation and whatnot, but when you pin it it doesn't jump into the powerband from a dead stop like my 700 does, it won't really start accelerating hard until 15-20 MPH. Is this the way thery're designed to run?

Also, the lady I bought it from said it was a '99, which I highly doubt since the Manufacture date is 5/00. Is there a way to tell the year from the vin or does its manufacture date make it an '01?

suva57 said:
clutches are clean and are set to Yammi specs for the elevation and whatnot,

Did you check them and set them, or take someone elses word for it?

suva57 said:
but when you pin it it doesn't jump into the powerband from a dead stop like my 700 does, it won't really start accelerating hard until 15-20 MPH.

Sounds a little like mine was acting. see this thread....

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79043

When I slid the helix off, it didn't try to twist back at all. Had no preload, and you could hear the clutch slam back into the heilix after letting off and hitting the throttle again. I left the spring in the holes it was in, and added a third turn into it, and it was just way better.

I'll be testing today with the 70 degree setting mentioned by Maim in that thread, if I don't like it, it's a 5 minute job to change it back. I've already got the wrench in the windshield pouch.

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

I checked the clutches myself. The helix isn't sloppy like yours is, maybe the spring is getting a little sacked out though. It gets around 11mpg with the old lady riding it which is about all I think I can expect out of it.

I tried tightening up the preload on the secondary and it didn't make a noticable difference.

Anybody have any info on hor to tell what model year this thing is? I need to get some wear bars ordered for it.

suva57 said:
Anybody have any info on hor to tell what model year this thing is? I need to get some wear bars ordered for it.

Don't know what year you have, but when I was looking, I think that Pro Action suspension and skis were all the same from 97-01.

Scooter Bob said:
Don't know what year you have, but when I was looking, I think that Pro Action suspension and skis were all the same from 97-01.
I know the skis are different and the wear bars have a different bolt pattern compared to my 99 mountain max.

More details: when accelerating slowly it speeds up normally to 5300 RPMs then upshifts very quickly and drops RPMs.

I think you need to tighten up that secondary spring setting.

Once I had the clutch properly pretensioned with a 90 degree setting, it worked great.

But, since someone mentioned in another thread that most yamy's work good at 70 degree, and it's so easy to change, I tried that.

At 70 degree, on a long strait away, trying to hold 50 mph, I could hear it upshift, bog motor, backshift, run good, upshift again, bog, etc.. It was just trying to shift too soon, and didn't quite have the power to pull the taller gear.

If we ever get any more snow here, I'll be putting it back to 90 degree and enjoying it.

Good Luck, Bob

Well, I tried the 90 degree setting, and after that something like 120 degrees.... It still takes a dump, only at a slightly higher Rpm.

bluemonster1 said:
you must have hydraulic hands to be able to twist to a 120 wrap..I have troubles wrap green at 80 or red at 90..
It made me bleed.

I think you better tear that clutch apart. Sounds like something is binding. Check all bushings and rollers and the weights. A MM 700 is pretty much the same motor/sled, just with a different clutching. Also check motor alignment and offset. Shouldn't be like that. I think 70 degrees with a green spring is a pretty good twist for that sled. To me it sounds obvious that something is going on there.. Check the little plastic slider "buttons" that are on the spider.

After reading through the manual (again) I noticed that they say to drop down to an 18 tooth upper sprocket, it has a 21 or 22 in there now.

Back