Can't decide

Diesel359

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, I'm currently looking at two sleds and I am having a hard time deciding which I should get. I'm torn between a SRX and a Vmax XT, both 98, 700, pretty close in price, but the xt is pushing 10 000km and the xt is at 5000. I don't know much about Yamaha, and the differences between the two, so I was hoping for some insight. I enjoy ditch banging and trail rides, I'm a fairly aggressive rider. Thanks for any input!

Hi and welcome..like it you are lookin towards a Yamaha compared to the Arctic Crap you mentioned in your avatar...lol..I have an 02 SRX.you'll love the extra power.....where are you in Manitoba by the way?? I am in the South end myself.

Im in Souris, about 30 min southwest of Brandon. And ya, the last two years ive been rebuilding AC motors, and im sick of it lol, looking for something more dependable. I was leaning more towards the XT because of the added suspension travel, im not really a lake racer, but the power of the srx would be fun! There asking 2250 for the SRX, and 2000 for the xt. XT has 11000km on it but was rebuilt at 8000km. and the SRX has 5000km. Thanks for the replies!

yep for difference in price you can put a better skid in and have best of both sleds, lol.

I've heard of crank problems with these sleds, is there a way to find out if they have been repaired by Yamaha? They are not the original owners.

get the vin and call the dealer, and they should be able to tell you if there are any updates that need doing, and what has been done. the srx is a great groomed trail sled. with the limited travel and extra weight it would not be the best choice for a ditch banging trail sled. if you are familiar with ac sleds, think of the srx as a zrt or thundercat, and the xt is going to be more like a zl. hope that helps. although the srx is a lot faster and more powerful overall, and if you find yourself on groomed trails it is king :)

For somewhere around $350, you could sent the rear shocks into PIONEER PERFORMANCE, and they could long travel the shocks along w/ valving them for your weight and riding style. And then you absolutely know you have the best possible set-up for what your wanting to do.
Granted....The L/T set-up on any sled will scrub away at the TOP END, but the SRX has pllleeennntttyyyyy of top end.

SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST TO ME!!!!

yeah, I rode a 97 600sx for over 9k miles, and about 1/2 of that was with the pioneer long travel setup. made a world of difference, and still nowhere near as nice as teh mono though ;) the soft seat on that sled REALLY made a big difference. if it had the seat my viper has it would have been much worse!!

I love the SRX but gonna shoot you straight - if you're into ditch banging and catching air, the SRX would not be my recommendation (and maybe not the VX). We've cracked the exhaust ports off jugs with hard landings. Always seem to buckle trailing arms with stunts and hitting stuff boondocking. SRX is a great groomed trail sled. Gets better in the rough with a different skid but you can only do so much to the front end without major mods. Personally, I think the old pogo sticks took the abuse pretty good - but there's better stuff out there now.

Ya it was the same here, couldn't see 5 feet in front of me lol. But it has passed now, still blowing, but stopped snowing. What would you recommend wildmax?

pick up an SXR..I love mine.I ditch bang with it,bust and jump drifts with it..even have water skipped with it and some wot runs.I love the SXR and it has never let me down,has long travelled suspension.Got over 13,000 km's on mine and still going strong,never ever damaged the front end or suspension and I have done some 20 to 30 foot landings and have landed on the back end pointing face up and still no damage..tough sled.Mine is a 2001 model and a 600,but just look for a 700 unit..all around it won't disappoint you and ditch bang all you want.

Attachments

• P4040093.JPG
    P4040093.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 43
  • PC120019.JPG
    PC120019.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 44
  • yamaha 032 (5).jpg
    yamaha 032 (5).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Diesel359 said:
Ya it was the same here, couldn't see 5 feet in front of me lol. But it has passed now, still blowing, but stopped snowing. What would you recommend wildmax?
Man, I don't want to get reamed for saying anything negative about Yamaha but if you're looking to ditch bang and stay in that price range, consider the past "snocross" type sleds. The Yamahas of that era might not be the best choice - the Nitro of recent years is the closest but you're talking a lot more money. I think the Cats had a good set up for that time for that style. Doos were ok but still had the trailing arm on most. Both had less weight than the SRX.

I mainly run Yamaha (sleds, quads and bikes) and have had a still have a lot of them. Like many other Yamaha loyalists, I have been frustrated with the lack of a great boondocking+ditch banging+trail sled in their lineup. Ski Doo's late model Renegade seems to be the choice sled now - and it shows in the resale values. I work on lots of sleds and will say that overall, Yamaha pays a lot better attention to detail than any of the others. All the manufacturers put out a good product - otherwise they would not be in business. If you are able to do so, get out to the sledding stop over places and strike up a conversation with riders. Some might talk up their sled but you can see what the predominant type is for what you might want to do. Also, any sled that has had heavy use for ditch banging is going to pay the price.

my ditch banger put thru hard driven miles and still looks like new..better then new actually...lol..I have no complaints..and will stick to a Yami

Ya I'll probably opt for the srx, I have a 90 wildcat 650 with a zr skid that I could get going again for cheap lol.

Back